Clever Manka, · Categories: Thursday Link Dump

Did you not realize until just this moment how much you needed Hamilton fanart as both playing cards and as a college AU? Artist birdloaf has you covered. Are you a Hamilton fan who also needs a good hate-read? I stopped reading it half-way through because I got bored, but up until then I was all:

Nicole Chung interviewed John Cho for New York Times Magazine and I’m including it because NICOLE but also for the mention of his upcoming movie that takes place in Columbus, Indiana, a small(ish) town about twenty miles away from the even smaller town where I spent my formative childhood years.

For those of you who already migrated over to Medium, did you see Mallory’s coverage of the DNC?

Later that morning we go across the street to a sort of ready-made meal outpost and as we are standing in line, my companion Laurie Penny says, “This feels like the luxury communist automat future,” and I agree, both because it feels true and also because it feels like this is the sort of conversation I should be having all the time. I remember this because it is the last coherent thought I will have for hours. I am a jellyfish, pale and aimless, trailing thoughts as I throb mindlessly in the heat. The heat is so intense that I begin to shed memories from my childhood and core principles of my personality. I have become a pair of quiet, rapidly fluttering lungs and a heart. Everything else is a waste of ATP.

The whole thing is delightful and short and you will enjoy it. I included that particular quote because of the inclusion of Laurie Penny. Her being okay in Mallory’s book gives me confidence that she’s not going to morph into a Caitlin Moran anytime soon.

There are a few Penzeys Spices lovers here and in case you’re not already on their mailing list, you might not know about their new seasoning blend. It sounds delicious and is currently available for free with a $5 minimum purchase (online coupon code 16755C, expires 7/31/16).

Farmbot. I want one.

Never a huge fan of The Simpsons (I’ve watched a few episodes here and there and enjoyed the movie), I still loved The Toast’s explorations of its minor characters. If you miss those, too, check out this collection of tweets about Marge.

Melissa Harris-Perry talks about the August issue of Elle with FKA twigs on the cover, accompanied by a questionable headline.

The Burgomaster found this I don’t even know how but I watched four episodes of it on Monday night instead of going to Pilates because I was still exhausted from Las Vegas. I’m sure it’s not everybody’s thing, but boy howdy it sure is my thing.

Speaking of personal/pet projects, do you have a website or blog you’d like me to link from this site? Let me know in the comments. I’m collecting them in a page to link up there on the left with the other pages.

1. Frumiosa says:

(Literally nobody has ever quoted Hamilton in my presence.)

Why do you brag about having a less colorful existence?

2. Frumiosa says:

This Current Affairs article just gets dumber and dumber: "The “cultural event of our time” is totally unknown to nearly all who actually live in our time."

Has this guy never heard of the concept of cast albums?

• vladazhael says:

I'm new to this whole Broadway thing – Hamilton having been my cure for a lifetime of "I'm not into musicals" – and even I know how important cast albums are to the people who love Broadway shows. Most people don't get to see the original cast of most things, if they ever manage to attend in person at all. That's how it works, dude.

Also, is there any more transparent form of harrumphy bitterness than repeatedly referring to a cultural phenomenon as "elitist"?

I love that he's all "no one has seen this" and "it's entire run has been sold out" in one breath, seemingly ignoring the inherent contradiction of those two sentiments.

• Onymous says:

I mean okay dude's a jackass but I mean optimistically what 0.1-0.2% of Americans have seen it? and mostly the wealthy new York living ones.

Yeah, and even if you have to travel, that assumes a lot of means (or alternatively sacrifices) to be able to afford seeing it. But I will continue to maintain that he doesn't get to slag it both for being totally inaccessible an also wildly popular, because those two statements are at least a little contradictory. There is, I think, a difference between "totally unknown" (like my favourite Montreal band) and "I can't get tickets to this thing I have been listening to on repeat for months" (hello Bey's tour).

I discovered Penzy's Sunny Paris blend for popcorn, with some butter and nutritional yeast it's divine.

Would you link the podcast? If not, I understand!

UUUUUGGGGHHH I kept trying to finish the Current Affairs article – *Hamilton voice* "Say 'elite' one more time!" – but I had to tap out when the guy found a way to do a bunch of anarcho-capitalist hand-waving.

I NEED those cards, though. Need.

5. dreamingintrees says:

I loved the Elle cover article, but also I missed the Bustle article linked in it, which is also fantastic. So, for those who may also have missed it, here is the direct link

6. Sanjay says:

I would have been more receptive to the critique that Hamilton does not include the perspectives of actual people of color had it not been preceded by eighteen paragraphs demonstrating the writer didn't know what they were talking about and didn't care to do research.

“When the Buzzfeed #Hamilton slack room has a heated debate about which Hogwarts houses the characters belong to”

Ummm, can we get started on this?

Burr as misguided Hufflepuff who tried too hard to be a Slytheryn?

That's a pretty good assessment, I'd say! TBH, I find it tricky to sort the Hamilton characters. I don't know if it's because I haven't engaged as much with them or what.

• Fancy_Pants says:

Yeah, I've only got the cast album to go on. I stopped after Burr because everyone else just seems like a Gryffindor.

I think Eliza is the opposite of Burr–maybe sorted into Hufflepuff, but a Slytherin below the surface.

• Fancy_Pants says:

Yaaassss. Which explains why she kicks all the ass and takes all the names. Hufflepuff-seeming Secret Slytherins would get so much done before anyone even noticed.

• vladazhael says:

I was just considering this today for (oddly) the first time in a completely unrelated conversation about what to wear for Harry Potter trivia tonight. Long story short: I think Jefferson is Slytherin all the way. Most politicians probably are. Hamilton is harder to pin down, but I think since the sorting hat allows for some personal choice, he'd be Gryffindor, because he would want that SO BAD.

• Fancy_Pants says:

"unrelated conversation about what to wear for Harry Potter trivia tonight"

Yeah that makes sense about politicians and Slytherin!

I think maybe in general lot of protagonists come off as Gryffindors, and a lot of antagonists tend to be Slytherins? Is that how most stories work? I'm trying to think of counterexamples. A good Slytherin protagonist vs. an evil Hufflepuff antagonist would be interesting.

• vladazhael says:

Yes to all of this!

The conversation about sorting earlier came from a developing pattern of my partner-in-shenanigans and I repeatedly choosing the roles of title hero and dickish rival with perfect accord and no actual planning. She learned Hamilton's lines for the cabinet battles and I learned Jefferson's without any coordination beforehand, and now she's sporting Gryffindor colors for trivia and I'm doing Slytherin. The crossover came from that and that's pretty much been the rest of my day.

It took us a while to figure it out, but now I have strong feelings about Hercules Mulligan in Ravenclaw.

• Fancy_Pants says:

That is both straight up amazing and also amazing foreshadowing. I wish you both the best of luck in your future earth-shaking and exquisitely bitter rivalry.

Oh good! I was really sad that I couldn't come up with any Ravenclaw characters, but I don't feel like I have a great read on Hercules.

• vladazhael says:

"I wish you both the best of luck in your future earth-shaking and exquisitely bitter rivalry."

That's one of the best things anyone has ever said to me.

Hercules is my Act 1 fave, honestly, but I also have a lot of love for Lafayette and Angelica, both of whom I also think are Ravenclaws. Jefferson I guess would be my problematic fave, in Tumblr parlance.

• Frumiosa says:

I claim Angelica for the House of Ravenclaw.

8. Sara Davis says:

Toastfriends, I live in Philadelphia and while I have been a combination of uninterested/unable to participate in DNC shenanigans, it has been BLOWING my MIND that so many of my heroes and idols are here in Philadelphia at the same time as me. Mallory Ortberg is sweating in the same oppressive heat as me. Barack Obama was probably gridlocked in that extensive cop car gridlock I walked past on my way home from work. Many of these luminaries are presumably visiting the museums in this city that I love, many of which I have worked for, but I will not hear about these visits until some later press release. I did sort of meet some dignities from Ireland at my work, but I was working so I didn't really get to shake hands or anything. It's been WILD.

9. undoneinsorrow says:

I love Mallory's writing so much. This was hilarious, and true:
    "The heat has transformed my hair into a beautiful spiral staircase that an heiress could slowly descend, sobbing."

I read that MH-P piece a few weeks ago and it may have been the most satisfying reading experience of my life. I went in thinking, Oh, I'm probably not going to get it because while I do live on the same Earth as Beyonce I have not seen Lemonade and this whole "good hair" idea is confusing, whine, whine, slump uselessly in my chair, and then the whole piece was like LADIES AND GENTLEMEN OF THE JURY MAY I PRESENT AND FULLY DOCUMENT EXHIBIT A. I am so grateful when people are that generous with their knowledge.

11. [sic] says:

Don't you hate it when you accidentally threaten a man? Here are some strategies to make those delicate flowers feel comfortable in the workplace: http://thecooperreview.com/non-threatening-leader