Manka’s Pancakes

Clever Manka, · Categories: Manka's Posts · Tags: ,
pancakes

Amy wasn’t up to writing a TWIFH post, so ya’ll get Home Ec this week instead of History class.

I developed this recipe largely based on this recipe from Against All Grain. I’ve tweaked it enough that I feel like I can call it mine at this point, but I was heavily dependent on that recipe to start me on the right track. My recipe uses more bananas and more eggs and (unfortunately for people making it for the first time) is based on a mix that I have pre-made in a large container in my pantry. I don’t know how to alter this recipe for a single batch. Sorry.

A batch of batter makes about 30 little pancakes. You don’t want to try making these larger than two-and-a-half to three inches. The pancakes pictured are sitting on a eight-inch dessert/salad plate, so they might look large–they’re not. Trust me, they’re teeny.

Pancake Mix

If you want to make your mix in bulk (like I do), I recommend mixing it in small doses, using the measurements listed, shaking/mixing well each time. It guarantees everything gets sufficiently well incorporated. You’ll only use 3/4 cup of the mix for each batch of pancakes. Again, sorry about that.

Pancakes

I make these in my food processor to get a super smooth batter. You could also use a hand-mixer or even do it by hand–it works (I’ve tried it), but your batter won’t be as consistent which makes them trickier to turn.

Peel the bananas and break them up into a few pieces into the processor. Whir until they’re smooth (if they’re not overripe, you might need to scrape down the sides a few times because pieces of firm banana have a tendency to stick to the side). If you’re doing this by hand, mash the hell out of them with a fork or potato masher.

When bananas are soupy/sufficiently mashed, add the eggs and vanilla. Whir until fully incorporated. If you’re doing this by hand, whip it good with a balloon whisk. Get some air in those eggs, like you would if you were scrambling them for an extra fluffy omelette.

Add the dry mix and whir until you’ve got a thick batter. It will get a teensy bit thicker as it sits, so try to avoid letting the batter sit too long between batches of frying. Again, if you’re doing this by hand, just put your back into it. The smoother the batter, the easier they are to turn and since these are obviously gluten-free, there’s not much holding them together–which means you need to make them small and grease your pan well (also, a well-greased pan gives you those nice browned rings around the outside edge).

Heat your skillet or griddle over medium-low and add a good dollop of fat. I’m generous with my fat and use about two teaspoons per six pancakes (the most that will fit in my largest skillet). When everything’s good and hot, pour about one tablespoon of batter per pancake. You want these to be small because they can be seriously tricky to turn. Cook them on medium-low two and a half to three minutes per side (more or less, depending on your stove).

I often make these with crumbled and browned sausage mixed into the batter for a more substantial meal. If you want to try that, it’s a half-pound of (raw) sausage per batch of batter, and make your batter a wee bit thinner by adding a dollop of coconut milk (or cow milk if you’re not allergic or otherwise opposed to cow milk)–maybe a couple tablespoons to (at most!) a scant quarter-cup. The sausage and thinner batter make these even trickier to turn, so maybe practice with the non-sausage ones first.

clevermankaClever Manka is your site host. She knows some people (the Burgomaster) say her grain- and sugar-free treats are better than the original recipes, and they are just straight-up wrong, but these pancakes are pretty good if you can’t have the real thing.

31 Responses to “Manka’s Pancakes”

1. burningupasun says:

PANCAKES. These look so yummy.

Since I feel a little bad about not having the spoons to write TWIFH this week, here is a recipe for my favorite beef stew. Since it's about the time of year to start bringing out the crock pots, and stew is such good comfort food: Slow Cooker Beef Stew.

2. littleinfinity says:

Let's just have Comfort Food Day… that seems incredibly appropriate right now.

Here is a recipe for Chile Egg Puff casserole that I have inherited from my boyfriend's mom. It's cheesy and eggy and easy to make, and you can make it ahead for a crowd and reheat it, or just scoop out a serving in the morning and wrap it in a tortilla for a quick breakfast burrito. If you are a non-gluten person, you can leave out the flour or sub GF flour… it comes out a little less puffy but basically the same.

You can also reduce the amount of cheese a bit, if you want to… but let's face it, times like these call for extra cheese.

Chile Egg Puff

10 eggs
    1/2 cup flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups cottage cheese
    1 lb shredded cheese (I use the “Mexican blend” with 4 cheeses)
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies

Beat eggs.
    Add dry ingredients, cottage cheese and shredded cheese, and stir.
    Add melted butter and chilies.
    Pour into well-greased 13×9 inch baking dish (or two smaller dishes).
    Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until center is firm.
    Serve with tortillas and salsa.

3. Onymous says:

I don't know what to think about this. I mean, it sounds delicious but holy crap 5 eggs to less than a cup of flour-ish is kind of outside my realm of pancakes.

Oh but I did make pancakes with sausage crumbled up in them on your suggestion. Dear reader I married them.

Coconut flour absorbs moisture like WHOA. You might be able to lessen the number of eggs if you added almond or coconut milk for the liquid, but the amount of protein they provide would take a hit. Adding sausage helps with that, though. =D

4. Räven says:

This recipe looks crazy! Will try this winter but not this week – I can still hardly get out of bed, never mind buy new flours – but I'm v intrigued.

I hope it works well for you! I forgot to mention, leftovers keep in the fridge for a few days just fine. I usually eat them (the non-sausage-added ones) with almond butter and jam. The sausage-added ones I eat straight out of the container. With my fingers.

Thank you, I have coconut and almond flour in my freezer that I need to use up, and I am not up to substantial baking right now.

I asked for (and received) coffee in bed Sat morning, and last night I had cinnamon toast and tea. Comfort indeed.

For those who are not paleo, vegan, or worried about cholesterol, I contribute the Splendid Table recipe for blini. They are time-consuming, very unhealthy, and soul-comforting. Traditionally, you wouldn't make them until Maslenitsa, the Slavic equivalent of Carnaval, but apocryphal lore has it it that they are golden and round to try to call back the sun, and frankly I think we'll need all the sun and butter we can get to see us through the winter.

I made cranberry-orange scones today and am planning to make alphabet soup tonight–nothing fancy recipe-wise, but I am glad it's coinciding with the comfort food theme.

Mmmm scones! God, I miss scones. I used to make them every Sunday. Feel free to share your recipe if you like!

• littleinfinity says:

Scones … <heart-eyes emoji> I have never tried to make them, do you have a recipe you like?

• Heathered says:

They're really easy and forgiving to make from scratch, but today I just used "Heart Smart" Bisquick and subbed in soymilk for the milk, added some orange peel and cranberries and walnuts, 2 TB of brown sugar and a dash of Penzey's Baking spice because Penzey's makes everything better, cut it all into wedges and baked to biscuit instructions. I like oat/whole wheat crumble monsters when I'm scratch baking, but TBH when I see how much butter something calls for it tends to put me off. Bisquick = plausible deniability. Fear not, you can totally bake a scone.

• Onymous says:

"TBH when I see how much butter something calls for it tends to put me off. Bisquick = plausible deniability. "

I feel this so much. Especially with any sort of cookie or pastry.
          "Add HOW MANY sticks of butter?"

• Heathered says:

Not long ago I tried to make cookies from a bagged mix with applesauce. So. Sad. It was cruelty to white chocolate and macadamia nuts. But I will still try to find a way to fake it if at all possible.

8. Crivens_the_hag says:

I love you all. At least as we navigate the post apocalyptic waste land we have each other.

9. dancingcorvid says:

i love you all.

10. meat lord says:

Ooh, thanks for sharing this recipe! I am very excited about the sausage version. I adore sausage, as befits my handle.

11. dreamingintrees says:

(I don't know why but intense debate won't let me log in. sadness)

Comfort brownies- (definitely not gluten free or healthy in any way, if anyone tries this with a gluten free flour, let me know, I'm curious if it would turn out ok)

My mom came up with this recipe and it was the very first thing I ever learned to make. I love them and they are so easy.

These may also have a quarter cup of instant coffee added to the batter to make them nicely mocha, for the caffeine addicts among us.

I think of this recipe as halves and twos, which may or may not help you remember it.
    1/2 stick butter
    1/2 cup chocolate chips
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup flour

melt butter and chocolate chips in microwave for 30 seconds to a minute at 80 percent power.
    mix in sugar vanilla and eggs
    mix in flour
    pour in 9×9 pan and bake for 18-25 minutes depending on your oven until the top looks crackly and delicious.
    enjoy