Clever Manka, · Categories: Thursday Link Dump

Mel Joulwan has some holiday recipes for paleo-types. Please add favorite recipes (or links to them) below. Just because I can’t eat all the fun things doesn’t mean I don’t want to hear about you eating them. I’ll post some of the stuff I’m making today in the comments.  I don’t know what all I’ll be making today besides chopped chicken livers and a roast duck. Guaranteed I’ll be eating pretty much nonstop, though.

The Burgomaster and I don’t really do much for the holidays besides get drunk and hang out with each other. He’s at his write group this morning until I don’t know when. I’m supposed to time the duck to be out around 5. That’s our schedule. What’s yours?

20 Uncontroversial Thanksgiving Day Topics for difficult family members. Also I am probably wearing an infinity scarf right now, so fuck you, yes they can, and those are fennel seeds, jfc.

Go Fug Yourself has a friend who started an Amazon wishlist for some Syrian families. Check it out if you’re so inclined.

Togetherlist.com: resources for women’s rights, LGBT+ issues, immigration, climate change, and more!

Mommy, where do dildos come from?

My namesake makes an appearance at a drag queen story hour at the Brooklyn Public Library.

I tried to keep this collection light on the anger and angst (which is why it’s so short–happy essays are thin on the ground right now), but if you’re up for a powerful poem about resistance check out “Revenge” by ecc poetry (who, tragically, has only two posted poems on their Tumblr blog). Also maybe check out this BBC article on the 22 syllables that can get you killed (a brief look at the poetic tradition of landays).

Feel free to use today as an open thread, too! If you're lonely or you need to get away from family, or whatever! I'll be here (while I'm in the kitchen, or reading fic *cough*) until early afternoon at least!

It's not Thanksgiving here, but I am _super thankful_ that I have this in my ears right now: https://soundcloud.com/this-is-november/sets/fame

That is a lovely holiday schedule! It's not Thanksgiving here, but I'm (lol no my partner is) going to roast a chicken tonight anyways.

4. Onymous says:

I'm making banana bread although I didn't feel like buying chocolate chips so I swapped in peanutbutter

and salmon pie (no cream, + garlic, oregano, extra cheese and wild rice blend instead of just brown rice)

• Räven says:

SALMON
      PIE

Omg

• Onymous says:

So the pie ended up being:

1 medium red onion
      2 Tbs olive oil
      3 cloves of garlic
      like 2-3 Tbs red wine vinegar
      1/2 lb portabello mushroom
      1/2 of a smaller head of cabbage
      1 1/2 tsp oregano
      1/2 tsp cayenne
      salt+pepper ( fair deal of pepper a couple dashes of salt)

~12 oz of kippered salmon (bless you dad)
      3 oz Tillimook extra sharp cheddar
      1/4 C bread crumbs
      a shy 2 C of wild rice blend

in standard pie crust (not puff pastry)

And yeah it was good.

Oh my god, that salmon pie. WOW. Okay, if this pie crust works, I might try modifying that recipe for me…

It's not a holiday here so I'm being productive at paid work. Partners are both going to be out tonight so was planning on messing around in the kitchen and try making quiche. (recipes welcome) I'm really seriously considering getting an umami cookbook.

I'm excited about all the food and recipes on this post. 😀

BTW…. Whomever gave me the chocolate beet loaf recipe (I'm sorry I've forgotten who it was) … THANKYOU! It was nummy.

7. Merripat says:

No holiday here, and I'm sicker than ever. Blergh. Currently waiting for my brother who offered to buy groceries for me.

I found this, a funny little list of gifts for people who like costume dramas. The tea hamper is the best, though.

Edit: Ok, embedding doesn't work today 🙁 – http://jezebel.com/gifts-for-the-woman-in-your-li

8. Räven says:

If you have a family where Robber Barons are not a controversial topic, you have a family where you can all talk about the election together anyway.

9. Onymous says:

And now work.

I'm in charge of the order online-pick up in store thing. So I magically am both shopping and working on black Friday. The 'best' of both worlds.

Aw, I got here late. I hope everyone working is now home and warm, and those of you Thanksgiving-ing are enjoying your food. I had a little too much wine, which has been fun, and a Hungry Man turkey dinner which was surprisingly good even if the turkey looked like bologna slices. Took a long walk and got a major blister on my big toe, and just scrolled through all those paleo recipes and already feel hungry again. Altogether a good day, for which I'm truly thankful.

The Folger's sweet potato pudding recipe, one of the earliest extant references to potatoes in an English cookery book, turned out pretty nicely, and the hardest part of making it was the peeling. It's not terribly sweet, and the spicing is light, unlike some medieval/Renaissance cooking that tastes like Death By Christmas Flavoring. And then you have all that sherry left afterward! Guess what I'm drinking! Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

Ooo! Thank you for that article! I'm gonna read it while I sit (quietly, restfully, ugh) today.

• littleinfinity says:

Just browsing the open thread a few days late and I love seeing all these amazing recipes!! For sweet potatoes, you can avoid the peeling by washing and quartering the potatoes (or cutting into 6-8 pieces if they're large), and boiling them with peels on. Once you drain and cool the potatoes, the peels are thick enough that they come right off in big pieces, so you can easily pick the peels out and proceed with the recipe 🙂

• Rillquiet says:

That is a useful cooking hack! In this case, I didn't mind the peeling; it was pretty much the only exercise I got all day, apart from helping dry dishes.

12. mellystu says:

This sweet potato stuffing which I discovered when looking for a stuffing substitute, but I just make it a lot once it turns to autumn.

And leftover Thanksgiving corn chowder that I cobble together myself, so I don't have a link.

This dry brine recipe in a spatchcocked turkey means another perfect bird. http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/salted-roast-tur

Now I'm up way to late reading fics.