Friday Open Thread

Clever Manka, · Categories: Open Thread

I wound up not eating much yesterday because I hit a wall around 2:30pm and could barely muster the energy to eat a few bites of the chopped liver, a duck leg, and some green beans. Oh! And a slice of the pumpkin pie which came out okay considering my oven started to fail and wasn’t coming up to temperature reliably. sigh It’s always something (else, in addition to).

So I’m gonna stay home today and eat while the Burgomaster goes out shopping for a new refrigerator (which we’ve needed for years, honestly) and now a new range. Thank dogs for camera phones.

What are you up to? Who has to work? How many retail employees do we have here? Our thoughts are with you today.

64 Responses to “Friday Open Thread”

I also have a bit of sad because I'm still so tired. I overdid myself on Wednesday running grocery shopping errands (full disclosure, I fucking love grocery shopping and will happily go to four different stores to look at different options and take advantage of sales). Then yesterday I overdid it in the kitchen (cooking/baking for six hours = my idea of a great time–seriously). So now I'm paying for it with my perfected exhaustion/insomnia combo. One of my BFFs invited me to go self-shopping with her (Black Friday sales on her birthday! What a treat!) but I had to prudently turn her down because I can't afford to wear myself out three days in a row.

PITY PARTY TABLE FOR ONE

2. meat lord says:

I'm at work today *waves* I'm not working retail, though–my profound sympathy to all those who are.

I didn't really do anything Thanksgiving-y yesterday, as I will be having a small Friendsgiving on the weekend. Planning to make braised turkey legs (my dad's recipe) and a Narsai's casserole (also a family recipe, consisting of cranberries, sweet potatoes, and apples drizzled with maple syrup and baked). There will be mulled wine and probably some storebought pumpkin pie.

Going for coffee round two before straightening up, our foster cat has a meet and greet at 1pm and all my crossable parts are crossed. Then it'll be some dishes and laundry and I'm taking to the couch for the late afternoon amd evening. Sunday I think I'm making fruitcake, which it like an upper body workout. I recommend the recipe from Taproot magazine.

Might go to Beverly's later and try to buy some cotton yarn without getting elbowed in the face, but it's so reasonably priced I may skip the insanity and just sit here by my little space heater all day, half-off coupon be damned. Is anyone making inexpensive gifts or buying something wonderful but affordable to give? I found some beautiful decorated matchboxes packaged with a little candle in a glass holder locally, but am always on the lookout for other good things to try or buy.

I really wanted to make art cards but maybe next year! I don't even think I'm buying anything for the Burgomaster this year.

• meat lord says:

I definitely need/want to do inexpensive gifts this year! I'm not sure what I'm going to make or buy, though.

• dancingcorvid says:

I knit a bunch of cotton wash cloths and packaged them 3+nice soap – they made nice presents and I got to swatch a bunch of fun stitch patterns and I found the cotton was nice to work with, especially if I wasn't worried about it continuing to fit or sag (which I would, correctly, fret over for garments). So it hit a bunch of personal buttons: I made it, I had a nice time, I would knit anyway to being able to put that to work was nice.

• Heathered says:

My loom-knit washcloths are so deeply ugly, but so pleasing to wash with. I need to find a way to make a lopsided rhombus say, "Yes, I AM a grown person and I DID make this" with pride.

I'm working from home on paid work to make sure I meet my quotas while I'm feeling productive. Today is technically my day off, but doing this now will make my life easier next week. I got back from massage and I feel good. We tried a massage for my jaw muscles (inside and outside of mouth) and it cleared my head nicely. I'm feeling bright right now.

I'm making my first chicken stock. None of my grandparent's cooking knowledge got passed down to my generation so I've never made stock. Partner learned how to do it in restaurants and saves bones… so, since he's home sick today, I picked his brains and tried it. It smells wonderful.

I also tried to make quiche last night. I didn't have a recipe, so I guestimated based on what I saw in online and what I had available. I didn't have pie crust so I used roughly chopped bread. I'm obsessing over umami so I added mushrooms, parmesan cheese, dried tomatoes, and soy sauce instead of salt. I had to use up some basil so I dumped that in. I like onions so I used those and spinach, just because. It turned out REALLY well… but I'm not sure if it counts as quiche or not.

Adopter is at the pound finalizing paperwork now! Go home kitty!

This made me think of you, Clever Manka. The whole ATIAC tumblr is an upper, frankly.

8. dancingcorvid says:

We just had a really nice thanksgiving yesterday – Mr Corvid's sister's children who are our juniors by roughly a decade, and have turned into amazing people. We reminisced about their mom and dad, both dead far far too young, when we visited them in the graveyard next door, and the niece and nephew's children are delightful and funny and charming, and my children are firmly in between in age, and drifted seamlessly between the adults and the kid's table.

It was a lot of driving. The big girl texted me Wed in misery asking how to tell if 12 hours of puking and a headache was hangover, flu or allergies. At 22, she hasn't had a hangover yet? which is … unexpected somehow. I wound up going into Boston (hour and a half inbound, I HATE the Mass Pike) bringing nausea remedies, and then brought her home, figuring we'd deal with her car (still in Boston) later. The trip home was an extra hour because Thanksgiving+rush hour and it was moderately miserable. So I was in fine shape for more driving yesterday, and I am sitting aggressively on the couch today daring anyone to ask ANYTHING of me. I was surprised she needed me that badly. So I went. I mean, she's 22. And I'm kind of flattered that I can be of service, and another corner of me says "just…deal with it, kiddo, you're old enough now" and the rest of me says I have always made a big deal of "call me and I will come", and I want her to believe that at moments of potentially more danger, so I might as well lean into it.

Reading all your descriptions of food is making my mouth water. I'm thinking of what to make with food on hand because I really really want to not go out again today or tomorrow, and yet I need groceries. Maybe tomorrow.

• Doc_Paradise says:

I think it is lovely and compassionate that you took care of her.

• dancingcorvid says:

Thank you! somehow I've been second-guessing my reaction for two days now, not helped by her father looking askance at the whole process. She's my kid and I love her. I take care of her when she needs it. I'll settle down eventually.

• Doc_Paradise says:

"the rest of me says I have always made a big deal of "call me and I will come", and I want her to believe that at moments of potentially more danger, so I might as well lean into it."

As someone who's had "Call us if you need *anything*(Not that)" pulled on me enough times to have trust and fear issues around asking for medical/care help… I think what you are doing is good parenting. If there is clarification on the type of favour or boundaries around expectations… that can be done when you are both able to talk about it without being miserable or puking.

Agreed. I think that's some really great parenting, there.

9. meat lord says:

I'm giving this its own post. I present to you Narsai's casserole, in my mom's words.

Ingredients:
    – Sweet potatoes
    – Green apples
    – Cranberries
    – Maple syrup
    – Butter
    – Salt

Boil 3 large sweet potatoes (unpeeled) until tender. Cool until you can handle them, then peel and slice (about 1/4" thick). Peel, core and slice 2 large Granny Smith apples (or other tart apples). Butter 8×8 inch baking dish. Put in one layer of sweet potatoes. Sprinkle in some cranberries, dot with butter and sprinkle with salt. Make second layer with apple slices. Make third (top) layer with sweet potatoes and sprinkle lightly with salt. Top with bits of butter and lots of cranberries. (I used about 3/4 bag of cranberries total.) Pour 3 tablespoons of maple syrup over the top.

Baking time will vary, probably 40 min total (uncovered). You want the apples tender and not much liquid at the bottom. Again, from memory: Start at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, then lower the temp to 350 degrees so top cranberries don't burn. I may have turned up the temp back to 400 for the last bit of time to increase evaporation. This year I baked it in the morning and reheated at dinner time. That worked well and gave the flavors a chance to blend.

Um, yeah!

• ru_ri says:

Oh man this sounds so good–thank you for putting up the recipe! I'm going to stalk the grocery store for cranberries and sweet potatoes on sale and make this next week.

In fact this whole thread is making me hungry again, even though I just ate a whole second Thanxgibbon dinner of leftovers (complete with a piece of my dad's amazing pumpkin-marmalade pie).