Clever Manka, · Categories: Thursday Link Dump

Conversations that have happened despite everyone’s best efforts.

“Upstander” and bystander intervention resources for street harassment.

What to do with your white tears, other than bottling them up. Legitimate advice on being an ally. I would like to add: If you see someone else exhibiting the behavior in #3, grit your teeth and try to gently lead them from the room so they are no longer a distraction from the real conversation.

There are many career paths I might have considered had I known about them and being a Foley artist is one of them. A different and more sober career option: death doulas.

Resisting with Rebecca Solnit.

…hope for me means believing that it’s worth doing something, even when nothing is obvious. You look at the great campaigns of civil rights: the end of apartheid, the Keystone Pipeline, marriage equality, so many other things, and you see people pursuing these things when it doesn’t seem likely and it doesn’t seem easy. I want people to remember that hope is about looking towards the future, but what I think strengthens it is the past, which shows us that sometimes we win.

I’m trying to figure out if the headline to this article was ironically click-baity by intent because it is not actually about overthrowing media, but rather how to responsibly consume media.

A feminist reading of Die Hard.

John’s instinct to seek help from those in a position to help is a sound one. And yet, in an experience familiar to any woman, he is repeatedly not taken seriously. His first attempt with the fire alarm is ignored and his initial attempt to contact the police is completely dismissed. And yet he does not give up, he simply escalates to something which men tend to call “attention-seeking”, which is usually motivated by frustration at not being heard. It is only by acting out of frustration that he finally manages to communicate the seriousness of the situation. John’s own form of attention-seeking is dropping a body on a cop car, but hey, it fucking well works. Better than yelling or crying, so next time men aren’t listening and I’m getting irked, I’ll remember that trick.

Getting a diagnosis of cystic fibrosis at the age of 33 and the importance of a person-centered health care system.

Not a link, but what would people think about having an open thread to talk about Rogue One once enough people have had a chance to see it? Any interest in something like that? I wouldn’t mind hosting a place for conversations about any movie, provided there was enough interest. I feel like there are enough fangirls here that we could have some good discussions, especially about the nerdier-oriented movies. Let me know what you think.

Is anyone with me on the Amanda Palmer/Neil Gaiman hate train? I mean, she's been on my shitlist for a while now (and Gaiman mostly by guilt of association and also I don't think he's that great of a writer) but this is beyond the pale, oh my god.
    Amanda Palmer has called the past few months in the United States “a total shit show”, but there’s one silver lining she’s looking forward to in president Trump’s America: a renaissance of political art.

Speaking at a press conference during Woodford Folk festival in rural Queensland – where she announced she and husband, the author Neil Gaiman, had just been granted five-year working visas for Australia – the Dresden Doll, solo artist and cult cabaret icon invoked the flourishing of art and culture in Weimar Germany as proof that “frightening political climates make for really good, real, authentic art”.

and then closes with:

“We started this [visa application] process long before the spectre of Donald Trump, before his orange head was even a speck on the horizon of our lives,” she said.

“We have a brand new baby, who’s a year old, and I’ve been looking around at the world, the political climate, the art scenes, my friends, our whole situation, trying to figure out where we should land. And Australia does look pretty tasty.”

I am choking on the privilege, here. Ugh. UGH.

• Rillquiet says:

Gaiman's weaksauce response to Chu–"Well, we're not really MOVING here, so there's no need for outrage"–costs him significant points with me. I don't hold him responsible for every dumbass thing she says, because partners are still individuals, but that also means that he could come right out and say, "Yeah, we don't agree about everything."

I guiltily enjoy some of her music, but man, it's one thing to be a performer who cosplays Weimar Germany and kiiind of another to be chuffed to see it come about.

ETA: Stop Saying Art Will Flourish under Trump: "The idea that 'at least artists will flourish under Trump' is lazy thinking and ignores history. It's an inaccurate trope. Yes, artists can play a critical role in combating or undermining authoritarian governments. Everyone from blunt political cartoonists to fine artists painting visual riddles can leave a record that not everyone in this moment in history let their thoughts be swayed by nationalist and xenophobic feelings. But none of this means that art somehow becomes better under authoritarians, and it certainly doesn't mean that artists themselves will flourish."

Also Trump =/= Weimar republic, that ship has sailed, bb, those were the Obama years. Now you're into Nazi territory, and you have fled the scene, your super privileged opinion means _nothing_.

• Heathered says:

Maybe not the hate train but the indifference train? I read Coraline last year and really liked it but his adultier stuff doesn't land well with me, and I know almost nothing about her. I considered reading that Art of Asking book but it sounded kind of unhelpful for someone in my situation, since "First, become famous, so people will do things when you ask," is not a viable answer to poverty. That said, I hope she enjoys eating Australia. :/

• dancingcorvid says:

I'm with you – I just don't like his work all that much, and I'm not sure why he gets the lionization and sales and movies except that his work hits some inarguable midpoint where others' actually explores new terrain… My daughters say the same thing, pointing to other authors they prefer, with much more textured and detailed narratives.

I haven't followed her at all. indifference for the win!

• flitworth says:

I enjoy a fair amount of Gaiman's works so it makes me sad that he's connected with Palmer, who is just a princess cut gem of multi-faceted privilege.

• Räven says:

Oh this relationship has actually been my emblem for the dark side of social media. I loved sandman so much, I loved American gods, I did think he is a unique talent — and then he got a journal and a twitter and it turns out he is just a twit and the last thing I want to hear is the Thoughts of A Man about All Things. And I love AP's voice even if her bands and songs aren't quite my jam, but her blog shows she is The Actual Worst – and when they got together they _both became more horrible_ as if that was even possible. She is a f*cking imbecile and I think less of him for their coupledom.

• Räven says:

Also why is it that white Americans looking to flee always look to these commonwealth colonies? Canada okay, I get it, we can walk to the border, but so many of my friends have cited Australia and New Zealand as possible emigration sites and those three constitute about 95% of the running-away fantasies I've heard.

• flitworth says:

I often have this trouble with artists whose art I enjoy but who as people are problematic. If their art makes me happy then I should be able to enjoy it regardless – especially since I don't know to what degree any given artist is/is not an arsemuff…But it still feels wrong. I think maybe the problem is that I have this American/Western tendency towards heroes and absolutes when, really, we are all humans and imperfect and live in a time where few people have room for nuance or extrapolation.

The upsets about RBG and her comments on Colin Kaepernick come to mind in terms of the dangers of elevating someone too far and having them say something that damages that ideal. RBG has done vital work but it doesn't make her perfect and it is frustrating that people attempt to dismiss her value wholesale because a sub-set of her opinions are detrimentally shaped by outdated white-centeredness.

If their art makes me happy then I should be able to enjoy it regardless

I think this is important, and I, too, enjoy problematic artists (I still actively enjoy Tom Cruise movies for instance–you can judge me, that's fine).

But I am (easily) enraged at the fawning adoration/cult of personality that some of those problematic artists actively cultivate. Like Joss Whedon. Honestly I wouldn't hate him so much if he didn't constantly feed off and into that nauseating feminist narrative of his. And Amanda Palmer is the fucking patron saint of that cultivated celebrity cult shit. God I just want to punch her in her stupid-ass edgy eyebrows.

That arrogant Roxy Hart attitude* completely ruins someone's work for me. I still enjoy the memories of reading Sandman but I haven't looked at those books in years and I don't see a re-read in my future.

*And the audience loves me. And I love them. And they love me for loving them, And I love them for loving me. And we love each other.

• flitworth says:

Totes. Side note to Sandman: there's a popular bit from it of Death that says "You get what everyone gets: a lifetime" and, actually, that is so obnoxiously privileged in and of itself that I bailed because one of the best/kindest/smartest people I went to HS with died in a crash weeks after graduating Uni and I just couldn't stomach the bullshit idea of egalitarianism locked in that phrase. And that's just a slice of life-isn't-fair-quantum-shit-happens, doesn't even scratch the surface of all the other privilege problems that are finally finding voice.

• Räven says:

Yeah, I too love a lot of work made by possibly terrible people (Richard Strauss I am looking at you), and i do not think it's reasonable to hold creators to a moral or ethical standard,because where would you stop? (Nabokov was probably a nightmare to live with, I bet Leonardo da Vinci was very selfish… Personally I no longer can enjoy woody Allen films but I understand not everyone's gamma is set the same.) — but i would quite like these two to STFU. They seem to grow fat and proud and smug on the glow of adulation from their social media followers and ticket holders to signings, etc.

See: my love of Tilda Swinton and my almost never ending head-desking the last year.

• jenavira says:

Same, same, same. I try to put my fingers in my ears and shield my Sandman love from all of this nonsense.

My dance troupe has had a months-long discussion about the sausage-fest that is American Gods (a friend's description), even though we all love it. It doesn't bother me so much because it is a book about a guy and his dad, and sometimes that's the story, though I'd hate it if all stories were like that. Bryan Fuller, though, had better fix that shit.

I'm working through Rebecca Solnit's Hope in the Dark; at the moment it feels like exercise, something I know will be helpful in the long run but which right now is a bit of a slog, but it's hit home a few times: "One of the essential aspects of depression is the sense that you will always be mired in this misery, that nothing can or will change…Things don't always change for the better, but they change, and we can play a role in that change if we act."

All of which is by way of preface for pointing out that Haymarket Books, which publishes her and other social activists, is offering 50% off through January 3. If you're looking for a way into the resistance and/or tools for the years ahead, it might be somewhere to start.

Lovely crop of links today!

Absolutely agreed on wanting to be a Foley artist. I remember watching all of the special features on the LotR DVDs and thinking what a great job for weirdos. Every other art department was doing very cool things, but they were all recognizable jobs, while the Foley dudes were just like banging two pieces of metal together or whatever and seeing what happened.

I'd show up for a Rogue One open thread! I saw it a few days ago, and about half of my motivation to go (I kind of hate movie theatres) was because I got to take my dad, but the other half was so I could engage in the internet feelings party.

• Fancy_Pants says:

Ooh also, in the "overthrow" the media article, one of the points was to diversify your media sources. I'm definitely living my whole life in a (beautiful) left-wing echo chamber bubble. Does anyone have any recommendations for right-leaning publications that aren't stupid or transparently evil? I feel like people can legitimately have very different opinions than me on the role of government in society without being horrible, and I'd like to try to understand that other viewpoint.

• LaxMom says:

Yeah, I'm barely coping even trying to stay IN my left wing bubble–I LIVE in the republican world, my media choices are going to be very thoroughly edited. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that my mental health comes before "being up to date". I've maintained a habit of not watching news but only reading it for 20 years now (it helped that with small children in the house, I wasn't going to turn that box on unless it was time for Blue's Clues and I needed a nap). I respect all of you who are moving forward with activism and intent. I'll cheer you from my round tower, with the ladder pulled up after me.

• Fancy_Pants says:

Oh god that sounds mentally exhausting. I'm lucky to work in academia and live in a university town in Canada, so my environment is pretty friendly to my political views. I hope school at least provides a bit of a happy progressive space for you.

Totally agreed on not watching TV news. I find it almost physically painful to watch. I guess I read all my news too, but on the internet, which maybe isn't the best idea? It's only right now occurring to me that I should read books if I want quality info.

I don't know that I'd bother with right-leaning stuff so much as pay more attention to the folks down the middle–BBC, Al Jazeera (although reportedly Al Jezeera USA is more liberal? IDK). There's an article I remember that graphed the difference news sources based on their political leanings. Not the readership's leanings (which is all I could find on a quick search just now) but an evaluation of the actual site's content…I don't have time to look more, now, but that article is out there.

I remember seeing a TV special on the making of Star Wars (this was in the late 70s, maybe early 80s) and it showed a couple guys playing with stuff to figure out what to use for the laser blaster sound and I thought "they get PAID to do that?" but it never occurred to me that I could get paid to do that. =/

• Fancy_Pants says:

Right? I was definitely a teenager when I was watching those special features, so it's not like I wasn't aware that this cool job existed when I was making career/life choices. But it doesn't really exist on the typical university-professional degree-career job pipeline, so I wouldn't have even known how to work towards getting that job. Still wouldn't really!

Rogue One thread: Yes please! Maybe next Friday? Or a link dump of articles about it (if you want to do that) and discussion in the comments?

J has discovered his love of sound editing and design the last year, and right now he's starting to do some live sound work with a local radio drama group (the one that did the Hannibal radio play with us). He had a blast doing Foley for the play, he kept playing things for me and saying, "Guess what that is?". Snapping a leather belt for gunshots was his favorite.

6. sherwood21 says:

(Me trying to schedule anything)
    Me: Ok, so here are the available times: Wednesday after 6pm, Thursday between 5–6pm, and Sunday at 12:15.
    Debra: Ok, how about Tuesday.
    Me: Ok, so here are my available times, tho: Wednesday after 6pm, Thursday between 5–6pm, and Sunday at 12:15.
    Debra: I see. We really can only do Tuesday.
    Me: Ok, I guess we’ll have to skip it, then?
    Debra: Is that really the only option?
    Me: Not at all. Here are my available times: Wednesday after 6pm, Thursday between 5–6pm, and Sunday at 12:15.
    Debra: Ok, we’ll do Wednesday at 4pm.

MY LIFE.