Clever Manka, · Categories: Thursday Link Dump

A bunch of really great posters from last Saturday’s marches worldwide. Some from the UK were especially charming. Alas, only one reader sent me pics from a march, so I probably won’t be doing a post of those unless I’m inundated with them soon.

Mykki Blanco talks about US healthcare and the politics of food.

“When you remove classes of people or races of people from having access to quality foods or even education about nutrition that’s — I feel like it may be radical to even say this — like nutritional terrorism.”

How to stay outraged without losing your mind

This is not going to be an easy four years. We’re going to be subjected to constant gaslighting by the President and his administration. We’ll be dealing with a ferocious, multi-front attack on the entire progressive agenda, without exception, and a lot of it is going to succeed. We’re going to helplessly watch institutions we care about and depend upon destroyed. The Trump years are going to be emotionally exhausting and deeply traumatic for all of us, but particularly to those dedicated to protecting the vulnerable and preserving democracy.

Most of us are not ready to take on the mantle of the resistance. There are things we can do now to get ready, but if we don’t, the ranks of would-be activists and resisters are going to thin out very quickly.

An article about a white man written by a white man, so that would usually be two strikes and you’re out but I’m linking Joe Biden’s exit interview. Because I’m gonna be honest I have Leslie-Knope-Level-Love for Joe Biden. I mean, most everyone agrees that Young Joe was a panty dropper, but today’s Joe could 100% get it, too.

If you don’t already follow This Political Woman on Medium, you might consider it. I think she’s pretty great (so far). This week she posted When the personal is necropolitical on the heels of last week’s The new Alt-Feminism, when white supremacy met women’s empowerment.

The Road Women Marched On This Weekend Was Paved By Black Resistance

The march that happened on Saturday is exactly the kind of march this Trump presidency warranted. It could not have occurred without it. But there is a sly and disingenuous narrative being spun here. The issues brought up during the march – the water crisis in Flint, indigenous women’s rights, anti-Muslim sentiment, violence against women (including the specific threat of murder trans women of colour face), the school-to-prison pipeline and so on – would not have magically solved themselves with a Hillary Clinton presidency. There would still have remained a need to march, to protest, and to resist.

I’m not sure I agree with everything here 100% (mostly because I have exactly zero faith in white women), but siderea‘s thoughts on the women’s march are inspiring and affirming and I am glad I read this essay.

Because the thing about intersectionality is that it has always been a fight to allow whole people being crushed into two-dimensional planes of identity to have space to be their full, three-dimensional selves. The term was coined by Kimberlé Crenshaw specifically to carve out that space to breathe for Black women, insisting that the way that feminist and anti-racist movements had operated – as exclusive lenses on experiences of injustice – had orphaned and betrayed Black women and their struggle, rendering them “invisible in plain sight”. As life-or-death important as intersectionality has been for Black women, issues with the exclusive-lenses model of theorizing social injustice were problematic to greater and lesser extents for just about everybody. The approach of “we can only address one axis of oppression at a time” forces all people to squish themselves flat to accommodate it, and pretty much everybody breathes at least a little easier when we stop doing that. I think there was a certain amount of realization Saturday, “Oh, hey, we don’t have to do that to ourselves or one another any more.

A couple professors at the University of Washington in Seattle have made a course Calling Bullshit, the materials for which are also available online.

While bullshit may reach its apogee in the political domain, this is not a course on political bullshit. Instead, we will focus on bullshit that comes clad in the trappings of scholarly discourse. Traditionally, such highbrow nonsense has come couched in big words and fancy rhetoric, but more and more we see it presented instead in the guise of big data and fancy algorithms — and these quantitative, statistical, and computational forms of bullshit are those that we will be addressing in the present course.

Did you see this, about the woman who marched with the "White Women Elected Trump" sign?

That's actually not the sign I saw in a photo, so that means that more than one woman brought that sign to a march. GOOD ON THEM.

ETA: Oh, right, I saw her sign, too! I like that article. Thank you for the link.

And oh, a friend of mine wrote this yesterday, summary: being a white person loving a black person doesn't get you off the hook.

• flitworth says:

Thank you! That was so good. I listened to interviews with POC who were adopted by white families a lot leading up to our adoption decisions and it was heartbreaking how many kids just stopped discussing the crap they dealt with because their white parents didn't understand that blackness itself is treated as aggression by passive and active racists.

Also, Penzy's is being awesome again. I'm about to drop a bunch of money there, and this makes me feel even better. Manka, do you recommend the Sandwich Sprinkle?

FUCK YEAH SAMMICH SPRINKLE

Seriously, it's probably the blend that gets the most use. It's not the most amazing or fancy blend, but I think it's the most versatile. I put it on scrambled eggs, sauteed vegetables, chicken and tuna salads…I think I even used it on broiled salmon when I didn't feel like doing a glaze. It goes with just about everything.

3. littleinfinity says:

I love that Calling Bullshit page! What the world needs now is critical thinking, sweet critical thinking. (it's the only thing… that there's just too little of…)

Also got love for Joe Biden, young and old. <3

4. flitworth says:

I have exactly zero faith in white women

I have been feeling this a lot lately. The fb page for the Boston Women's march has gotten pulled in many directions – including multiple people posting reminders that the suffragette movement was white and Susan B. Anthony was not concerned about black women getting the vote. Naturally, a lot of white ladies started with "well I'm not racist' and other defensive BS. Plenty of the people who marched are not woke*. But I ask myself, at what point does this reminder move from a necessary statement of fact for moving forward and at what point is it a statement of fact that is put forward for personal wokeness cred? Constantly confronting sensitive white ladies with their failings is alienating and at what point is that alienation counter-productive? Some people just will not acknowledge this – they can't wrap their mind around white privilege or the idea that success in American life is dictated largely by luck rather than meritocratic systems. Do we want/need the people with delicate white feels? Because this happens with every subgroup, there are ableists within the progressive community and within POC communities, there are huge differences between the types of stereotypes POC occupy and those also impact privilege (for example, people of East Asian descent are not portrayed as lazy, however, they are portrayed as meek, in direct opposition of the standing stereotypes for black people). Of course, I ask these questions as a able/cis/hetero/white lady, I fully acknowledge that the way in which I consider these communicates/is built on my privilege. I am still learning.

*I can't count the number of times I've had to shout at someone about the idea that HRC didn't carry women. She didn't carry white women, and that is an important part of the current state of things. My favorite poster was one held by a black woman that said "We tried to save y'all".

This is a hard topic and I go back and forth all the time on it (depending on mood and energy level). I feel like this has always been a problem with progressive movements. The whole "perfection is the enemy of good (enough)" thing. Conservatives are able to rally despite differences, obviously. Why can't we?

Unfortunately, yes I think we need the people with delicate white feels. We need to continue to engage with them even though it's exhausting. Especially because it's exhausting! We need to continue talking to them because that is our job as white, non-disabled people. Otherwise, who is left to talk with them? We can't put that burden on people of color and people with disabilities, etc.

I posted something related to this on my FB yesterday that I'll paste in a second comment bc it's long. I wrote it because of a conversation with my mother (and I'm gonna talk about that tomorrow on the OT because wow) about how we can't discard movements because we might not like one aspect of them. I know that's not the same as the problem you're talking about, but my response is the same. We need to keep talking and we need to keep showing up. In spite of our lack of faith.

Just because I don't personally have hope doesn't mean hope is not possible.

Here's what I posted to FB:
      There are no perfect movements. As much as history books try to make it appear that the civil rights movement of the 60s was divided into "good" activists (MLK) and "bad" activists (Malcom X), it wasn't the case then and it's not the case now. There is no march, no rally, no movement that doesn't have potentially troubling aspects.

I won't tell you what causes to support or not. We need to make our own decisions about that. I will tell you that the resistance needs our help and we are guaranteed failure if we only support causes that we agree with 100%. We must not refuse to support Black Lives Matter because some of them throw rocks. We must not refuse to support the water protectors because we think they're trespassing. People are dying.

If you think a rock through someone's store window is more important than speaking out against racism, police brutality, and genocide, you need to examine yourself and your values.

White people who want to be progressive are in a fraught place right now and I know it's stressful but let me emphasize: The stress we white people are feeling over how to engage is paltry in comparison to the stress of living daily life as a person of color, or a queer person, or a person with disabilities right now.

Many people have derided and mocked the prevalence of the word privilege lately–mostly those who refuse to recognize it in themselves. It's an important word to remember and it's not something to be ashamed of or protest against. It's simply a fact of existence as someone who is not oppressed due to an aspect of their person. How we use our privilege determines how we are judged for it.

White people, please use your privilege for good. Is there a march or rally near you that you'd like to support but you've heard there are problematic elements? Make a sign saying "Intersectional feminism for ALL women." Walk near (not with! near!) groups of women of color who might be there. Keep your ears open for hostile comments and speak up when you hear them. Don't allow aggression toward your fellow marchers. Don't make the women already suffering from additional oppression defend themselves.

Use your privileged voice to speak up. Never silent.

I need to upload the photo of my sign; I channeled my energy into housecleaning rather than signmaking, but NOW was offering freebies outside of Union Station, so there's a STOP VOTER SUPPRESSION sign that my guest and I embellished with scrawled names of people we knew had wanted to be there. (I was very charmed to see a "today we are CANCELING the apocalypse" sign and made sure to get a picture; I thanked the owner and told her to find me in the drift, and her entire group cheered.)

These Peace de Resistance Fair Isle mittens just came across my TL; the pattern is $6, and proceeds go to a variety of progressive causes.

• littleinfinity says:

Ahh I thought you meant the mittens were $6 and I was about to throw my money in their general direction… but my knitting skills are in no way up to that challenge. If anyone makes these I would 100% buy them! (for more than $6, because that shit looks hard)

Thank you for the link to the pattern! Passing that on to my revolutionary knitting friends.

So, last spring my belly dance troupe did a piece based loosely on Pacific Rim, and our intention in creating and while dancing was definitely that one.

These links are all majestic, you space witches are all majestic, and I'm not getting fuck-all done at work this morning.

That necropolitics article blows my damn mind. I've been thinking that the only way the extreme right (and those who go along with it) makes sense is if they just don't care if people die, and it turns out, yeah, not only do they not care, but they want certain people to die. "Eugenics-adjacent" indeed. Christ on a damn bike. This just redoubles my resolve to resist, resist, resist, and to give no ground.

ETA: I try not to write off groups of people as "totally evil" or reduce complex situations to simplistic black-and-white morality, but…. yeah. Totally evil. This isn't all that complex.

ETA x 2: Wow, this is a pretty naïve post to make. Of course these people want "undesirable" people to die. I…. I guess I really did have an undue amount of faith in humanity prior to this election.

• jenavira says:

Dang, that's an A+ use of $11 a year.

(I've been trying to think of things I can do that are less demanding than starting a blog, because I don't think I have the energy to maintain a blog, but I coordinate information, dammit, that's what I do, there has got to be a way to channel that into the resistance.)

• vladazhael says:

Just collect it for now and figure out what to do with it later. If nothing else, keeping a log of what's going on is valuable. And I'm always happy to see information shared here; a lot of my best reading comes from these link roundups and open threads.

8. RoseCamelia says:

Signs I saw in person at a Women's March: These spoke for me.

Things Are So Bad, Even Introverts Are Here

Too Worried To Be Funny

I'm Tired But I'm Here
    (held by a woman standing on the sidewalk while the march proceeded past her)

9. jenavira says:

Damn, that Adewunmi article is hitting me right where it hurts right now. Because I think it's undeniable that the reason there were so few arrests at the Women's Marches (although there are now 6 journalists being charged with FELONIES) was that there were so many white women. And Donald Trump is making noise about "sending in the Feds" to Chicago. And Mikki Kendall had a Twitter thread yesterday that broke my heart. And I'm starting to think I need to get my ass into the city more often, because I honestly don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to.

Flavia! I remember her from Tiger Beatdown days! I am shocked that it is both so near and so far.

11. dancingcorvid says:

I was fine until the Buzzfeed article called the new Smithsonian building the Blacksonian and that is SO PERFECT, and I have to get down there again and see it.