We marched!

Clever Manka, · Categories: Uncategorized

Thank you to the readers who marched on January 21, and thank you for sending your photos!

Thujaplicata sent these, and shared: “It was the only march in the state, with buses coming from a bunch of different cities. The estimated attendance was ~10,000. That’s approximately 1 in 10 of the state population! The organizers seemed to do a good job of making the march accessible, there was a seated area up front and a sign language interpreter for the speeches. A number of native women were on the speaking program and also a trans woman and a black woman. I was pretty impressed with Montana for that.”

Yarnybarny in DC:

Kazoogrrl’s signs from the rally in Baltimore:

Ru_ri was in DC, too, and shared: “The march was inspiring and discouraging in equal parts. It was truly amazing and wonderful to just see so many people coming out to support the resistance. The creativity of the signs, the upbeat vibe, and the complete lack of violence were all fantastic. On the downside, the absence of organization and communication regarding where we were supposed to go, where support services were, etc. were not so great, reminding me that lack of focus is a huge weakness on the left–one that is damaging us badly at this very moment. And the amount of clueless entitlement on the part of many of the white women marchers was unfortunate as well. It’s not ill-intentioned, just thoughtless, but it gets in the way of real unity. I think, however, that our focus will be rather unpleasantly sharpened by what Trumpco has coming for us down the pike, if the past four days are any preview.”

You are all heroes! Thank you for being loud!

8 Responses to “We marched!”

1. jenavira says:

Thank you everyone who marched! I wish I could have joined you.

So nice to see these! I'm sorry I didn't photograph my local march–I went assuming 100 people would show and it would be a drum circle clusterfuck, but 2000 was pretty rad.

3. Räven says:

I didn't take any photos either, because I don't ever think to take photos. I love that "we are sisters / resist" sign!

Thank you! I would have had more crowd pics but they all had friends in them and I didn't want to irritate anyone.

5. littleinfinity says:

Yay for all the marchers! I forgot to send my photos but imagine a very wet and pissed-off Angeleno with red lipstick. (It was pouring. buckets.)

6. dancingcorvid says:

my little city, expecting 200, got 2500: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dancingcrow/3163100https://www.flickr.com/photos/dancingcrow/3206474

it was amazing – so may of our most politically active were in Boston or DC, and still we managed to collect 10% of the city and march. I saw so many friends, people I love, co workers, associates. I mean, yes, part of that is just being social in a small town, but part of that was the astonishing turnout for a shout of outrage and solidarity.