Monday Open Thread

Clever Manka, · Categories: Open Thread

I never actually watched SNL other than the famous old clips from the original cast era. It’s nice to see the show remembering how to be relevant, though.

Amy is finishing up her trip (safe travels home, bb!), so History Class is still on hiatus. Home room chit-chat time!

39 Responses to “Monday Open Thread”

I'm going to start with a bit of show and tell. The Burgomaster bought me this hairstick for my birthday last month. It's a little more grippy than the hairsticks I got from my local Renfest person (although those are still gorgeous) and I think it's a little lighter, too.

While I'm on the topic of hair, I'm finishing up the last of my current shampoo/conditioner (just Shea Moisture stuff from Target) and am in the market for something different. My hair is a mixture of 2A and 2B (wavy), which I can get into a 3A with enough product and scrunching when it's wet. Anyone got recommendations for shampoo and conditioner that encourages curl? I only wash my hair once a week, tops (in the winter significantly less) so I'm okay with spending a bit extra.

In non-hair-related stuff, this live mic feed of Beyonce's Grammy performance is amazing.

I read "The Will to Change: Men, Masculinity, and Love" by bell hooks and loved it. I have bought a lot of books online and they are set to arrive a few at a time over the next bunch of weeks… so it is a bit like a books christmas to me.

3. LaxMom says:

Oh dear lord I am whiny today, but I have to vent somewhere. There is a very nice person who shares the cubicle opposite mine. She regularly wears perfume to the point that my eyes are burning. I have to teach in half an hour and my eyes are tearing up (it's so bad, she's not even IN her cubicle and it's that strong).

I did finally get an option for a different "office"–it's a basement storage area already split into two sides, holes and grubby paint, and no window. But at least I'd be able to breath/see.

• vladazhael says:

I don't know if you're a West Wing fan, but I'm just now finally watching it, and I'm reminded of Ainsley's basement office.

I have a windowless office with no air circulation and terrible carpet but the door that closes and the fact that I share it with nobody makes everything worth it, 100%.

• LaxMom says:

I would still be sharing it, the room is split down the middle with boxes?Bookshelves? and it really a pass-through to another dim, unwindowed office..but at least it's not toxic.
        I'm glad you guys chimed in–I was starting to think I was being oversensitive. But now that I gave up and came home and the headache is slowly fading I'm definitely going to move as soon as the boot comes off my foot.

• Onymous says:

The worst part is saying "um excuse me you wear so much perfume it is literally and figuratively killing me" makes you the asshole. It's perfectly okay for some one to purposely go out spend money and purposely apply perfume by the bucket load everyday, for some reason completely unacceptable to ever complain.

• beaucoup1314 says:

I used to work in a bookstore where of course everybody walked in. The ones with perfume made me sneeze. I had be diplomatic and stand far away from them. Yes, it is a problem.

• LaxMom says:

I know. And she really is very nice, so I don't want to bring it up. But today after I posted I realised there were even three windows open. I went downstairs and I could see her outside walking down the driveway…and I was still standing on the stairs 2 floors up in a cloud of her perfume.
        I understand that there are people who aren't super sensitive and don't have allergies to everything all the time…I just don't know any of them in real life.

• beaucoup1314 says:

Have you tried talking to her about this? Do not live without conversation. It may not work, but that would be the first move. Do not confront. Do not be a person who complains. Be the neighbor who asks for a simple favor. She may not do that, but start there.

I spent the weekend sick as hell and just barely pulled myself together enough to get an awesome new haircut yesterday. Symmetry is for squares.

And I just found out this morning that there will be a public forum tonight for our county's legislative delegation. Our house rep has already chickenshitted out of a town hall meeting on the basis of danger from (I'm not even kidding here) "activist and anarchist elements in the Democratic Party", so… this will be fun. I've already roped two friends in and I'm preparing a statement. Thesis: let me tell you fuckers about my mom's rare progressive eye disease, and now you look ME in the eye and tell me about how you want to take away her health care coverage. Whether or not I get the chance to speak remains to be seen, but I am prepared to go full Hamilton on these smug old white dudes given the chance.

5. Onymous says:

I started watching sense8. I'm only 3 episodes in but they do have my attention.

I watched the first episode with a friend and loved it, but my household has a ban on subscription TV services so am still waiting to see if they're ever gonna release it on DVD.

• Doc_Paradise says:

I haven't watched the second season yet but I loved the first season.

It took me about 4 eps to get into it, and it was enjoyable but I think was hyped too much for me. I will try S2 when I have the time.

• Onymous says:

I am fortunately(?) going in with fairly low expectations. I remembered some fellow toasties liked it but the first couple reviews I saw when it came out (might not have been of the full season) were basically "I mean it's definitely a TV show: B-". So I pretty much just started watching it on a whim.

That's probably a good way to go into it. I have a number of friends who LOVED IT, and I . . . didn't, though I liked it and specific parts in particular, especially Sun. Also, the last episode, I think, has some very detailed birth imagery, which made me uncomfortable but other people found powerful.

Just had to warn a coworker that the email she got was a scam and not her cousin stuck in the UK and needing money. She's being such a tool about it I almost wish I'd let her fall for it.

Spent a lovely Sunday afternoon podcasting in the sun on our front porch. Global warming may make MD unbearable in the summer and ultimately destroy us all, but it was nice to sit outside and drink iced coffee.

Also, rewatched ET for the first time in 35 years. Still charming but not as magical as when I was a kid. I was inspired by the Incomparable podcast episode about it.

7. Räven says:

This is shaping up to be a lousy week. 1, I need to get down to making money again, and that means building up a new client base, and it's really going to cut down on my protest-sign-making time, but it must be done. 2, my landlord has put in for a 12% rent increase based on having done some structural work on the building, which is clearly a bit of a scam but I don't have much chance of fighting it. (Here you can look back to item 1.) And of course 3, the world is ending, so what does it matter anyway.
    On the upside, I saw the RZA in concert this weekend and goodness he has a vital presence, and I'm newly inspired to work hard and with considerable élan, so: back to it.

Ugh, that is such bullshit. Like, structural and wear-and-tear replacement costs should be built into the rent, asshole. Adopting a friend's general FB response to anything regarding 45 these days: Whatever, man. Jesus.

8. LaxMom says:

Has anybody seen the trump supervillian twitter stream? https://twitter.com/PresVillain/status/8315699896

• SquirrelGirl says:

Ooooo I hadn't seen that. It's so funny I'm smirking like Paul Ryan when he thinks of eliminating medicare and social security!