Tuesday Tumblr Collection

Clever Manka, · Categories: Tuesday Tumblr

Today’s collection is Tuesday, February 21: Black Athletes.

clevermankaI’ve posted a weekly themed collection on my Tumblr nearly every week since October, 2011. Someday I’ll compile a list of them, with links to the dates. That day is not today.

10 Responses to “Tuesday Tumblr Collection”

It's very random which of these photo arrays will open easily and which freeze up on my machine, but I got the guy with five Superb Owl trophies and that horrible derpy Fox lady, so, yay-ish. Sorry I missed another Monday OT! I spent the day coaxing my laptop back to life after it misplaced its own OS so that I could comparison shop for hose clamps online because my one non-plastic chair broke. Highly inconvenient, but more funny than upsetting overall. I will try this again later because I'd like more athletes and less Fox affiliation. 🙂

Ah, Tumblr. It's a mess. I don't know why they can't hire competent programming staff. The Fox Lady is a very small part of that post! I hope you can get the full thing to load eventually!

2. RoseCamelia says:

Flo Jo made me sob. I remember how exciting her triumphs were and how shocking her death was.

And damn, wasn't Muhammed Ali a *fine* looking man? I always feel bad about objectifying him, but he was also someone who inspired me. I want to come closer to his level of confidence and grace.

I have always thought of Serena Williams as my generations best athlete, from the first time I ever saw her compete with her sister. They, and I, were very young then and I had never seen such mastery. She's only gotten better since then. She's who I think of when I need to push myself physically. I want to be more like her.

It's interesting to me, remembering the childhood impressions I had of Flo Jo and Muhammed Ali–that they were doubtless excellent athletes but did they have to be so loud about it? And realizing now how even my relatively liberal-for-the-time-and-place parents endorsed those attitudes. Oh, hello internalized white supremacy, there you are.

Parallel-y, I recently read Peace Pipe Dreams by Darrel Dennis (is about the racist myths Canadians inherit about indigenous ppl), and I remember about halfway through thinking "it is really weird how many of these myths are things that my dad espoused during my childhood and were considered liberal at the time".

O hello internalized white supremacy, there you are.

• beaucoup1314 says:

Loud is why I loved Ali. I had known him since he was Cassius Clay. He had the forum and used it. A hero to me.

• beaucoup1314 says:

I could have written this myself. Stay well, CleverManka.

That picture has a submessage for anybody white who wants to know how to be an ally: Find ways to support POCs without stealing focus. Smith and Carlos spoke at Norman's funeral (Norman was iced out of the Australian track and field community, although the AOC denies that, and he struggled with addiction for most of his life, dying at 64 of a sudden heart attack) and encouraged Australians to teach their children about him and the example he set for supporting others.

Yes! Thank you so much for pointing that out! It's one of the reasons I chose that image for the above-the-cut. I almost included a pic of black women athletes, but that image of the men on the podium is Just. So. Important. for so many reasons.

• Rillquiet says:

It's not the only important photo, of course, but it's such a good one for both telling a story and then turning out to have a deeper, more moving one as you learn more about it. Norman wanted to wear a badge to support Carlos and Smith (who are each wearing one glove of Smith's pair, because Carlos forgot to bring his, and Norman suggested splitting Smith's set), so he borrowed a human rights badge off a U.S. Olympian…who has said that he was honored to contribute. And that kind of politics and humanity is part of why, for all the IOC skeeviness and bullshittery, I still get verklempt about the Olympics sometimes.

Also, after spending part of the weekend with a bunch of Obies, I'm not at all surprised that Tommie Smith ended up at Oberlin.