Tuesday Tumblr Collection

Clever Manka, · Categories: Tuesday Tumblr

Wrapping up February, today’s collection is Tuesday, February 28: Black History.

clevermankaI’ve posted a weekly themed collection on my Tumblr nearly every week since October, 2011. Someday I’ll compile a list of them, with links to the dates. That day is not today.

11 Responses to “Tuesday Tumblr Collection”

Tangentially, if anyone hasn't heard, the new Henry Louis Gates show, "Africa's Great Civilizations," is nerdlicious. The first two hours aired last night, and the next two installments are on tonight and tomorrow. I recommend tuning in with your search engine already revving, because there is a lot of information presented and all of it invites you down rabbitholes of history and archaeology.

2. RoseCamelia says:

Betty Boop! I had no idea she was black. How could I live half a century as a vaguely well-educated (white) person without ever learning this? Well, we know why, and it's a damn shame.

I had just begun grade school when McGovern ran against Nixon. I remember chanting the campaign slogans the other children had learned at home. Consequently, I was interested in knowing who won the race. I never knew, back then, that a black woman had tried to get on the ballot.

Knowing about Shirley Chisolm back then would have changed my entire world. Instead, I was being taught that girls grow up to marry men, keep house, and raise children.

The subtext was that my natural interests were wrong, that something was wrong with me because I was not attracted to housekeeping. And I was wrong because I could not see, no matter how hard I looked, what was so different about black people.

Shirley Chisolm was kept from me. I feel cheated. We were all cheated.

3. beaucoup1314 says:

I have watched the first segment and will continue.

Shirley Chisholm is buried in Forest Lawn Cemetery in Buffalo, NY. Western NY is full of gems.

Frederick Douglass is buried in Mt. Hope Cemetery in Rochester, NY. It's also the first Victorian style cemetery in the nation (I fuzzily recall from Uni). If you are ever in the area, you should go – it beautiful.

5. jenavira says:

Okay, I finally got to look through all of this collection, and dang, this was really great. (All your Black History Month collections have been – thank you so much for doing them! I've learned a lot.)

Thank you, Manka, for curating such a great tumblr collection all month. I am both surprised at how many of these people I know of and ashamed at how many I don't.

Re: The Green Book – one of my fav Toast pieces was about the Green Book! If any of y'all missed it right before the Toast closed, it is this one: http://the-toast.net/2016/06/29/the-negro-motoris

7. damngoodcoffee says:

Just going through this now; thank you so much for posting this.