Clever Manka, · Categories: Uncategorized

Orly’s new line of halal-certified nail polish developed for Muslim people allows water to pass through the polish, so nothing interferes with ablutions.

More consumer options: get your Neuromancer fashion needs here, your custom-made Wonder Woman swimsuit here. While you’re shopping, have fun pondering if feminism and capitalism are compatible or if women ever get to retire.

While we’re re-thinking everything else, let’s re-think addiction.

High ACE (Adverse Childhood Experiences) scores also relate to addiction: Compared with people who have zero ACEs, people with ACE scores are two to four times more likely to use alcohol or other drugs and to start using drugs at an earlier age. People with an ACE score of 5 or higher are seven to 10 times more likely to use illegal drugs, to report addiction and to inject illegal drugs.

More thoughts on productivity

I wanted to finally rid myself of that abysmal never-ending cycle that says that I’m not enough. It arrives consistently but unannounced, this small voice that says that if I haven’t displayed a herculean effort in the last 24 hours, then the day has been a waste. It’s that feeling that ups the ante of expectations each and every day. It’s that feeling that makes me too busy to eat a full meal or causes me to spend an  entire day hoisting my energy on nervousness and Starbucks.

Somehow the difference between being “good busy,” “bad busy,” and “just plain overwhelmed” has often faded into a grey area. We stay in motion but make little progress. We stay afloat but have difficulty swimming against the tide. We avoid drowning but drift farther away from shore than we ever planned to. And of course, we beat ourselves up for it.

Fuck the police: a resource for resisters.

When Your Violin is Supposed to be a Cello

Every day in orchestra practice I would stare at the cello players in awe. Their music made my high-pitched violin — something I once felt so accomplished in — seem so inadequate, so empty.

But it was too late, I reasoned. My parents had bought the violin and they would never stand to invest in another more expensive instrument, to pay for more lessons, to start over.

Besides, this is what I was destined to do. From the crib, remember? I recalled the stories my mother told me, when the Bach violin concertos lulled me to sleep. I remembered the Dixie Chicks concert when it was broadcast on the television, when they pointed at the violinist under the spotlight and said, “That’ll be you someday.”

A new documentary centered around the first Pride celebration in Iqaluit, Nunavut, premieres at Inside Out. Two Soft Things, Two Hard Things is already set to screen in Sudbury, Ontario and premieres internationally at San Francisco’s Frameline Film Festival later this month.

Soooo we actually found a baby dinosaur preserved in amber. I think we all know how this ends.

Heads-up, language nerds

The area’s remoteness partially explains how the Boontling language came to be, and why it remained local. But how the dialect grew — to the point it was taught at the local elementary school — is owed entirely to the peculiarities of the town itself.

Though its origins are debated, old timers attribute the language to a group of gossiping women. Around 1890, a young pregnant woman moved to town from Ukiah, about 20 miles northeast. Her family had banished her. She began working in the hop fields alongside the Boonville women. Eager to discuss the scandal, the ladies developed a series of coded words and phrases to evade her attention. Classic mean girls.

Speaking of language, do you get tired/annoyed with people who claim an inability to understand slang/metaphor/anything that isn’t perfect White English?

I don’t think many of us (especially those of An Age) would have anticipated a time when John McEnroe would be someone we kinda liked.

Her Story is a 6-episode series that looks inside the dating lives of trans & queer women as they navigate the intersections of desire & identity. It came out in 2015 so I don’t think we have much hope for a second season, but they do a good job satisfying the two story arcs in the six episodes (each ep is less than ten minutes long).

I'm catching an early matinee of the King Arthur movie this morning so won't be responding to comments until afternoon just fyi!

It was terrible and I liked it about as much as it's possible for me to like a Guy Ritchie movie! =D

The 2004-ish King Arthur is about as bad as I could deal with, and I only did it for Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen. Am I a Tristhad shipper? Why yes I am!

Oh man, I completely forgot either of them were in that. That movie was genuinely awful. This one was at least enjoyable. It helped a LOT that the person I went with (our faculty Medievalist!) and I were the only ones in the theater and we talked through the whole thing.

Honestly, though, if you don't hate Guy Ritchie movies, this was fun to watch. He basically made a medieval caper. With magic. And Oliphaunts. And amazing costuming (although I'm weary of giant hoards of bad guys wearing black–it looks so uninteresting on screen). At one point Jude Law is wearing a blue velour smoking jacket. AMAZEBALLS.

• meat_lord says:

A medieval caper with great costuming and magic does sound like an awful lot of fun :3

The best thing to come out of it is a series of fics (by the same person who is doing my favorite Baze/Chirrut series), and the fact that it's where Hugh and Mads became friends which helped in getting Mads cast for Hannibal. So for that, I am eternally grateful.

This sounds like a Netflix and drinking after a long week movie.

• LaxMom says:

wasn't that the one with Clive Owen and keira Knightley? I really didn't see anything but those two. I remember others, but…Clive Owen…

Yes, so terrible! It pretended to be the "real history" and *screams* *pulls out hair*

2. Räven says:

These look fascinating and I look forward to reading them when I can tear my eyes away from my all-Comey twitter feed. (I had PLANS for today, actually, damnit.)

I've been purposefully keeping myself from looking at anything about that…ugh, do I even want to know how it's going/went?

• littleinfinity says:

Not terrible! Not a lot of new info, but a new framing, and Comey comes out looking professional and honest. Which, regardless of one's personal feelings about him, is bad for Trump. Obstruction of justice is looking more and more clear.

• Räven says:

Yeah, no earth-shattering news, nothing we didn't basically know, but confirming we are in a long game toward some kind of action because illegality is like a mist pervading all of D.C.. Special cousels move slowly, anything similar that gets appointed will also move slowly, FBI investigations are slow; congressional Rs have no interest in supporting any action to change what they've got, so assume that the cast of characters won't change until the 2018 elections, even as lights shine brighter on the truth, investigations progress etc.

Sounds like about the best we could have hoped for, really. Let's just hope we're all still able to vote come 2018.

• Räven says:

Hahahahaha yes that is the subject, or plot premise, of a short cabaret show I am working on. Free elections, how easily can they be canceled?

I was reading about the nail polish this morning, I wonder if I would like it because regular nail polish makes me feel like my nails can't breathe. I love that they developed this line, and I hope the response is good and they can expand it!

I hope they can expand it, too! I wonder about the chip-ability factor, though–I mean, you wouldn't be able to use a topcoat, and in my experience, that's kinda crucial if you want a polish to last more than a day. But maybe I'm hard on my nails…

I can't keep ANY polish on my nails, they are very smooth and seem to resist all base and top coats.

4. Onymous says:

completely unrelated but I just finished John Wick 2.

It's a little too cute in a couple places but they win infinity points for having a fight in a hall of mirrors and completely ignoring that it is a hall of mirrors.

I really need to suck it up and watch the first one. I was in a bad place when I tried the first time and had to stop watching when I realized they were gonna kill the puppy. =/

Keanu is kind of a great twist on the revenge/pet trope (also fun but stupid and not a kids movie as I originally thought).

• Räven says:

I feel like by the time I became aware of it, they had put that in the publicity so you would understand going in that it was a (the!) plot device. 🙁

• RoseCamelia says:

John Leguizamo has perfect nuance, as always. "I don't know if you noticed, John, but there's a crack in your windshield."

I am positively SWIMMING in feelings over the violin/cello article but I have to run out the door before I can sort through them and make a coherent post!

But I wonder what it says about me that my knee-jerk reaction upon reading the title was "Split the difference and get a viola!"

Fuck the strings binary!

• ru_ri says:

Hard same.

I was started on the violin at age 4, simply because there was a violin that had been passed down through 5 generations of family and landed with me. Played it all through high school, went to college on a music scholarship, but never had the fire or skill it takes to be professional. I love the cello and tried hard to play it for a couple years, but never could sort out the fact that the low string was on the right instead of the left.

BUT a few years ago I drove to Kalamazoo on a whim and bought a viola I'd found on Craigslist* and suddenly found my voice again. It's satisfyingly deep and the intervals are wider so fingerings are easier once you figure out where the notes are, and you can crawl up the neck for high notes anyway. And I don't have to read music or anything, I can just play. It's so freeing.

Anyway, I thought the piece linked the discovery of one's real instrument with the discovery of one's real self in a very lovely way.

*That was quite a trip–I picked it up at this church that was a long drive down a winding dirt road into the woods. If I had been in a movie, it would certainly have been the Location of My Demise by Stabbing or Other Means. I arrived in the middle of an AA potluck where none of the participants were speaking to one another, which made me super uncomfortable. The husband of the woman whose viola it was apparently played guitar for the Xtian rock band that was setting up to play for the "festivities." He asked if I wanted to join them for a set, and I had to explain that I felt fortunate that I hadn't burst into flames simply crossing the threshold of their Worship Hall but I didn't want to push my luck. I got the fuck out of there so fast.
      Kalamazoo is a weird town.

This ACE thing is such a worry for foster kids (who are all traumatized in one way or another, even if reunified). Our emergency placement is experiencing so much trauma with more to come, it's awful. And we aren't even totally sure how best to meet her needs. If she likes goats I'm going to try to take her to a neighbor who has two therapy goats for hang time. These goats are adorable and they go on walks with neighbor and her dog and baby.

I'm still taking advice on what to do with traumatized 8yo who will be here probably at least through next week unless resources align magically. She's anxious, I'm anxious, the dog is anxious, the toddler is anxious, the fluffy cat is hiding and the jerk cat is being a dick.

• RoseCamelia says:

You already know this. Daily outdoor time is crucial. And fun, exhausting physical activity as often as possible to exorcise the anxiety demons. I'm thinking trampolines, swimming pools, busy playgrounds, mini golf, bowling. I know you already have a handle on the necessity of building a predictable, calming bedtime routine.

Poor girl. As much as she's struggling, just imagine how much worse it would be if she didn't have your safe harbor. You're doing great with her, even if you can't see direct results sometimes.

• Lee Thomson says:

These are all good and correct: outside, in water, jumping, swinging, running around, things that spin…

The extra thing you could think about is what solidifies bonds in your family. My kids joked that I would do anything with Family in the title – Family circus, family camp, family swim, family bike ride – and it is absolutely true, because I was constantly working on confidence and team building. I'm not sure how you might do that with TH and your new 8yo, but it is worth thinking about. What kinds of rituals do you have at your house, do you have funny words for things, how can you draw her into your circle and reassure her? And along a related axis, how can you establish this for TH as well, so she feels you are presenting a unified family, incorporating your 8yo (and possibly pets as well) and staying together?

• meat_lord says:

Therapy goats! That sounds delightful; I hope she likes goats. I don't really have any kid advice, but I send lots of good vibes to you, to the kid, and everyone else.

THERAPY GOATS

If that happens, I hope you can share the experience with us bc THERAPY GOATS

• Räven says:

Oh man, I have zero feelings about goats but am suddenly craving a visit to therapy goats, since they exist. I hope she lets you!

Do you cook, or bake? Can you cook with her? It's a glimpse into self-care or self-sufficiency that she may be able to avail herself of in the time to come.

• LaxMom says:

are there still strawberries in the fields near you? picking strawberries is pretty magical. Even for me, surrounded by apple farms, strawberry picking feels different. Beaches are good, too, I found myself really wishing I'd gotten out to one tonight.
      Teenboy would LOVE that there are therapy goats. he was willing to drive 5 hours just to help my friend goat-sit babies that needed bottle fed (but her husband didn't want another teen in the house, so he couldn't go).

You being there for her no matter how anxious she feels is probably the best thing you can do. When I took in my very traumatized nephew at that age we did a lot of hands-on group stuff, like including him in cooking a kid-friendly meal, and building a geodesic dome out of rolled-up newspapers (which was surprisingly sturdy), playing a lot outside.

• Flitworth says:

Thanks for the advice!

Therapy goats:

So we tried having the girls walk them on leashes but the goats were having none o' that. They mostly wanted to eat random plants. Not professional goats, but it was a good activity.
      The neighbor's kid is adorable and has a great gleeful face.

Boontling! I live in Ukiah, and it does come up from time to time even here in the not at all big city. Only thing I know is your girlfriend is your "applehead."

I always wonder how these phrases get chosen and how malleable they are…like, I would much rather be called someone's applesauce. =D

• Heathered says:

Applesauce makes me think of Judge Judy, but it still sounds less like a very confusing comment on someone's appearance. Huckleberry works, but huckleberryface would be just awful. I guess it's better to leave body parts out of it if possible, bananaknee.

• RoseCamelia says:

Mr Rose and I compete to outdo each other in disgustingly cutesy names: Dumplin' Buns, Cuddle Knees, Muffin Butt, Sugar Shoulders. The first one to crack up loses.

8. BestLaidPlans says:

The "retirement" article is amazing.

9. littleinfinity says:

"language nerds" CLICKS FURIOUSLY

That Boontling article is great! It reminds me of Cockney slang with all the onomatopoeia and local references (and its use to evade censors/ eavesdroppers).

And I lovvvve the overly detailed explication of "cause bread" (slang/ metaphor link). That's not even non-standard English, it's creative use of language. (I guess those are kind of the same, but like, "cause bread" is not a dialect or slang so much as an idiosyncratic usage/ poetic license) (although maybe it falls under Internet Speak?) (I had a long stupid meeting today and then drank a lot of coffee and can now only speak in parentheticals)

These are all SO GOOD!! and I'm delighted Siderea made it into your general links – I was knocked SIDEWAYS by that.

Tangentially related to the ACE article: The more I learn about disability, mental illness, chronic pain, etc. the more convinced I get that trauma is the root of 95% of human suffering in all its various forms. I'm one of the only people in my social circle who doesn't have a history of trauma/ abuse/ etc. I'm also one of the only people in my social circle who is physically healthy and pain-free, and my mental illness is the least severe. I don't think that's a coincidence. This shit really fucks people up… I hope for breakthroughs in healing and resilience.

12. ru_ri says:

Go John McEnroe! The unbearable whey-faced brat has become a fabulously outspoken oldster and I am HERE FOR IT.