Monday Open Thread

Clever Manka, · Categories: Open Thread

Turns out, Amy’s terrible back pain problems were due to a large mass on one of her ovaries and she spent the weekend dealing with that (some of it in the ER) so please send her your good vibes.

Because I missed so much work last week I won’t have time to comment during my office time, and once I get home I’m pretty sure I’m gonna crash so please forgive my absence.

15 Responses to “Monday Open Thread”

O Amy. I am so sorry to hear that, I hope that you are well, hereby sending every good vibe I has to spare your way.

Mankanauts! If you would like a holiday card (they are very dirtbaggy and bear no resemblance to Real Christmas Letters, they were, in fact, a direct response to getting The Worst Real Christmas Letter I have ever read), please send me your address at reneegibbins (at) gmail (dot) com. I promise to disappoint 😉

2. faintlymacabre says:

Aaaaaaack. Best wishes to you, Amy. Rogue masses are the worst 🙁

I spent much of Saturday in a rage at ex (no, I don't fucking know where your item is, I am not your maid, mother, or even your girlfriend any more!!!!!!!) and at capitalism in general (giant annoying papercut from unwanted credit card solicitation) but then was soothed by spending more money than I should at the nursery (and a very kind employee saw me eyeing a plant, regretfully put it away, whereupon she swooped in, cheerfully marked it 50% off and went on her merry way). Plants and small kindnesses are such a balm to my soul.

• ru_ri says:

I am sorry your ex is an ass, but what a lovely plant story! If you gotta do retail therapy, plants are the best way to go IMO.

Oh, Amy, here's to the good drugs and a quick resolution. That is not a fun way to spend a weekend (or a weekday).

As U.S. folks lurch toward Thanksgiving, I wanted to put in a plug for Slice of Life, a fundraiser for the DC area's Food and Friends, a nonprofit that prepares and delivers full nutritional support to people living with life-challenging diseases, including HIV, breast cancer, and diabetes. For around $30, you can get pumpkin, sweet potato, pecan, or apple (new this year, there's a $45 chocolate amaretto pie that includes a chance to win 50,000 American Air miles). If you're local, you can buy pie for yourself and pick it up for the holiday; if you'd rather bake your own or are not in the area, you can buy pies to be included the full soup-to-nuts Thanksgiving dinner that F&F sends out to all of its clients. This year, F&F is also donating 10% of its pie income to Bill's Kitchen, a sister organization in Puerto Rico.

4. ru_ri says:

Oh no, Amy! That sounds like no fun at all. I hope you are getting things resolved. Sending jedi hugs and warm healing vibes. Feel better soon!

5. Absotively says:

Healing wishes to you, Amy!

Oh no! Sending healing vibes to Amy.

I officially quit NaNoWriMo over the weekend, because I'm pretty sure the prospect of being faced with an unwinnable challenge (I realized I would not make it to 50k [or indeed 30k] without becoming a hermit and I am unwilling to give up my social life) brought the iron fist of depression down upon me?? I'll stick to the daily 750, thx. Extremely related: spent most of the weekend sleeping/napping/lying in bed because I could not bring myself to move.

The only things I did were as follows: 1. Clean bathroom. 2. Watch terrible, terrible anime with Datefriend and Dear Pal. 3. Download a visual novel/ dating sim on my phone and fall ass over teakettle in love with a terrible terrible fictional disaster man.

• Heathered says:

I'll miss imagining you in the NaNo trenches, but 750 a day is awesome and iron fists are not, so I think you're doing it right.

Apparently tiny human's daycare partner in crime has worn her parents down and they want to schedule a goat play date. Two months. She switched from asking me at daycare after I told her I emailed her parents (I did).
    I spent some of the weekend journaling to deal with my mom's death. I am afraid if I get sad about it I'll never stop being sad. Her birthday is in November.

• Flitworth says:

Oh and a goat got into the kitchen.

• Räven says:

I think we all loved that viral item about the eager baby sheepdog who herded a bunch of sheep into their owner's house, but the owner was like, no, the sheep peed everywhere, you don't really want a flock of sheep in your house. I imagine one goat is more amusing but I hope it got out promptly. 🙂

• RoseCamelia says:

Goat play date! But not in the kitchen.

You will stop being sad. I promise. There will be pauses. Eventually the sadness will be occasional, with great, long periods between. The sadness will be only a pause.

But the fear is understandable, natural, normal. Feelings aren't wrong.

Maybe the sadness is something you feel a little less each time you feel it.
      Maybe the raw spots learn, with repetition, to accept the sadness burden.
      Maybe your pain handling system gets better at bending its knees and keeping its back straight while carrying the sadness.

The sadness does not go away, we know that. But you carry this sadness with less effort as you become accustomed to it.

I'm sorry you lost your mom, Flitworth.

Sorry to be so late getting here but if you see this, best wishes for swift healing, Amy!