Clever Manka, · Categories: Thursday Link Dump

Due to the seal’s small size and veining on the stone, many of the miniature details are only clearly visible via photomicroscopy. Courtesy of The Department of Classics, University of Cincinnati

This will probably be the only time I feature a piece of art with all dudes on it, but this find is amazing.

“What is fascinating is that the representation of the human body is at a level of detail and musculature that one doesn’t find again until the classical period of Greek art 1,000 years later,” explained Davis. “It’s a spectacular find.”

Even more extraordinary, the husband-and-wife team point out, is that the meticulously carved combat scene was painstakingly etched on a piece of hard stone measuring just 3.6 centimeters, or just over 1.4 inches, in length. Indeed, many of the seal’s details, such as the intricate weaponry ornamentation and jewelry decoration, become clear only when viewed with a powerful camera lens and photomicroscopy.

I’m also including an interview with two men (apologies). Kim Stanley Robinson is a major SF writer of climate fiction and the author of one of my favorite book series.

…If humanity’s impact on the Earth is mostly negative in ecological terms, if you mark humanity’s impact as being so significant that we have produced a new geological age, then we have to think differently in our attitudes towards what we are doing with our biophysical substrate. And one of the things I think the Anthropocene brings up is that the Earth is our body, and we can finesse it, we can impact it, we can make ourselves sick.

Watch beautiful people do drugs in the name of science.

Native American geeks now have a con of their own!

Men are finally feeling uncomfortable. Good.

Sex is not the problem, but for some people sexism itself has become eroticized, and that, yes, is a problem. “It’s not flirtation that any of us take issue with,” said my best friend, late one night after another round of exhausting emotional work trying to shore up the shuddering self-image of the men we know so they don’t collapse on top of us. “It’s entitlement. Projection. Objectification. We know when we’re being dehumanized. Good flirting is the kind where they see us. They won’t know how to flirt the right way until they start unlearning how to look at us.”

John Berger famously said that “men look at women, and women watch themselves being looked at.” I’m sick of being looked at. I want to be seen. There are none so emotionally blind as those who look at a person standing right in front of them and see a mirror, not a window.

Phenomenal performance piece, I Was Born Resisting.

There is a new, more effective shingles vaccine and everyone who is eligible should get it. I had shingles when I was 19 and I never want to go through that again.

I have always despised the phrase/idea of “I know how you feel” and this article articulates my hatred perfectly.

When describing my symptoms to others, I agree, bipolar symptoms sound like anyone of these issues. But education on bipolar makes all the difference in the world. And if you are not educated in mental illness’, you should not be saying whether someone is or is not bipolar, or whether you do or do not have this same illness.

When those words of “I know how you feel” are carelessly thrown out, it’s demeaning to the blood, sweat and tears that I have experienced day in and day out, month after month, year after year, all in efforts just to keep my head above water.

Non-Binary Gender in the Greek and Roman World.

Treat yo’self.

Self care, as I am learning by way of fruit platters and therapy, is not even a little bit contingent upon owning yoga pants, ingesting anything with a descriptor that ends in “genic,” or nestling anything Gwyneth-endorsed within my hoo-ha. There’s not even an app for mindful fruit platter eating. I just sort of buy a fruit platter and go to town on it until I don’t want any more fruit. I’m usually wearing a caftan when this occurs, but that’s just because I started wearing caftans after a recent surgery and discovered that it’s extraordinarily comfortable and freeing to wear a caftan. You should wear caftans, too, but of course you do not have to. I mean who am I, the caftan police?

Of course I am not, because that’s legally precluded by my official position as the Minister of Convincing People to Hog Fruit Platters and Not Share Them. It doesn’t have to be a fancy or expensive fruit platter, by the way, just one where the fruit is pre-sliced and clearly in a portion size that is meant to serve more than one person. I want you to know the abandon and bliss of not worrying if you are bogarting all the berries and mango, leaving your fellow meeting attendees with the bulk of the honeydew chunks and little else. There is so much politesse and restraint involved in communal platter foods. Imagine how much mental energy you will free up if you allow yourself this delicious transgression.

Nicolle Cliffe has an advice column on Catapult, now.

Finland is preparing to remove specific school subjects for all students sixteen and over. They’ll be replaced by “the study of individual events and phenomena.”

This short article revisiting Klaus Theweleit’s 1977 book Male Fantasies is not exactly a comforting read, but it’s something we need to explain to people who think the current crop of Nazis are solely politically-driven.

Theweleit, a German doctoral student in literature, wanted to understand the fascist man’s deepest desires. Not why did they do what they did, but what did they want? As German historian Sven Reichardt points out, while others sought political explanations for fascist violence, Theweleit shocked readers by looking to their quotidian lives for answers. The resulting two-volume book is an intimate analysis of the letters, poems, diaries, and novels of the Freikorpsmen: fascism up close and personal. To modern readers, the Freikorpsmen’s fantasy life will be familiar: a country in decline, a nationalistic call to purge it of disorder, a clear separation between men and women, rich and poor, your kind and the other.

Megan Fox deserves an apology.

A lot of Canadian television shows (including due South with the original incidental music that they couldn’t put on the DVDs) are on YouTube now!

Overtone singer Natascha Nikeprelevic:

An American teacher friend of ours spent time in Finland looking at classroom culture, and kept a blog. I loved reading about her experience, though it makes me want to get out of the US/off this planet even more. https://kultturriculture.wordpress.com/

Thanks especially for that shingles link; I've sent it to my folks, who are of An Certain Age and need the help. (Ofc people of my age also need it, but waah, painful shots. How hurtsome are we talking? Pharma should develop a scale of expected pain, like flu is a 1.5 and typhoid is a 6 and IgG is an 8 or higher depending on placement.)

• Alluvial_Fan says:

Nothing compared to the pain of shingles…the virus breaks out along nerve pathways.

My least favorite/most painful vaccine is tetanus, for comparison.

• Rillquiet says:

Yeah, I've heard about the burn and know I need to get the vaccination lined up–I'm just a wimp about shots. A few years back I was having a lousy day and had to get a tetanus shot, and when the nurse walked in with the tray I unexpectedly burst into tears. Bless her forever, she just sat down, let me pull myself together a little, and said patiently, "Let's talk about how we can get this done. Would you like a stuffed animal to hold?" It was a family practice, so very little time elapsed before I had a fluffy tiger in one arm and a needle jab in the other.

Hmm, maybe what the shingles vaccine makers need is to offer a huggable option. Or to encourage people to BYO.

• Alluvial_Fan says:

That is A++ nursing. I'm so glad you what you needed to get through it.

• RoseCamelia says:

Welcome to the club! I can harness and drive a team of horses, dig a ditch by myself, and move a rattlesnake off a path, but needles scare me witless.

I schedule all invasive procedures for when Mr Rose is in town and can go with me. I go to every appointment carrying a small teddy bear.

My outward calm and poker face used to confuse medical staff who found my pulse racing. But since I started bringing the bear, everyone understands instantly. No explanation required. Which is good because I'm all but mute when terrified.

• Rillquiet says:

Harness and drive, you say? Speak further!

I've improved a lot about needles, so that particular breakdown came as a surprise to me as much as to the nurse. But I am a fan of doing whatever it takes to get a body through basic medical care, especially if it's something straightforward like having a comfort object or partner's hand to grip.

• RoseCamelia says:

Wagon driving is not a skill in demand. But I learned how when I was in high school. Spent 10 days driving wagons along a pioneer trail in Arizona. Period dress, food, etc.

No mention of native peoples being pushed out, so not a well-rounded history lesson, but I did learn lots. Best outcome, this neglected, emotionally abused teen with zero confidence learned she was capable of controlling draft horses. It made a huge difference for me.

RIP Mr Kastelik, history teacher.

• LaxMom says:

we have horse people here. I mean, we even (yes, in the Cleveland exburbs), have a horse church. But that is an amazing feat of education right there. What an above-and-beyond teacher.

• RoseCamelia says:

Yes, he was. Thank you.

3. mckitterick says:

SUCH A GREAT COLLECTION TODAY! Thank you!

Thanks for the heads up on that Canadian channel! I remember going to some trouble to get S1 of Due South from the library on DVD, but by the time it came I was too unwell to watch anything. Of course I'm in a similar boat now, but when it passes it will be easier to just pull up YouTube and check it out.

5. RoseCamelia says:

Used to be that shingles only struck older folks. Or that was the common understanding. However, it's making middle-aged people sick as well now.

A friend of mine had shingles recently. He's my age and said he'd never felt such intense pain. And it went on forever. As soon as he was recovered, he badgered everyone he knows to get the vax. He cannot tolerate the thought of anyone he cares about enduring that much pain.

I found the shot not so bad. Tetanus shots hurt more than that one did.

• Alluvial_Fan says:

This matches my experience.

• LaxMom says:

I had it at 35. It hurt to wear clothes. I was also "lucky" and got it bilaterally, which isn't supposed to happen, and on my face, which can cause blindness. AND two rounds of antivirals barely slowed it down.

I am totally going to eat a full fruit platter myself. Actually, if I had the money to blow on a wildly overpriced fruit platter, I'd eat an entire fruit bouquet.

And I will watch the druglabs show while eating it.

Sorry for the weirdness with a partial dump posting this morning in addition to this one. Apparently the "save draft" function does not work the way I thought it did. =b

8. jenavira says:

It doesn't look like comments are collapsing yet, but I have a Thor: Ragnarok-related comment about Toxic and Predatory Men and I'm gonna throw it in a comment for spoilers' sake anyway.

• jenavira says:

As much as I loved Ragnarok (and I loved it a whole, whole lot, including on a theological level, which is not something I ever expected to say about a Marvel movie), I'm starting to feel like it was a cop-out to let Odin die after a heartfelt conversation with his sons. I feel like it would have been much more powerful – and more, hm, morally complicated, in a good way – to let Hela murder him in Asgard.

Or maybe I just want to watch a powerful woman murder a man who's mistreated her. Also possible.

But it's weird to me how fast this is going, how much a good, relatively progressive movie that came out just a couple of weeks ago feels like it's missed the boat already. Not bad, for sure, but weird. Of course, in the hellscape that is 2017, time has no meaning, but still.

• Flitworth says:

One reading is that she sorta did kill him: If he used the last of his waning energy holding her back and was weakened by his separation from Asgaard then wasn't his death the necessary precursor to her return? Of course a visual manifestation of her reclaiming her space/time would be powerful.

I'm more broadly interested in looking at colonialism with a more penetrating gaze. I would have preferred a bit more in that regard.

• jenavira says:

I mean. Yeah, I guess. It's not the same thing as his blood on the throne. (Which wouldn't have happened anyway, there's never enough blood in these movies for me. I, er, may need to watch Hannibal again soon or something, I'm feeling vindictive.)

I felt like Ragnarok was the first tiny step we need to take to get mainstream pop culture to look at colonialism more critically? It wasn't nearly enough, but it was something, where before we've had nothing.

I feel like Taika did the most he thought he could get away with and not have Marvel boot him. I agree, though, that Odin weaseled out of there way too easily.

Yes, I can see what you're saying. And after all the pain and chaos he caused he gets to peacefully slip away.

In my circle of friends we now have "Shitty Odin" as a persona, such as telling people, "Ugh, don't be such a Shitty Odin".

Having followed too many links from Louise Penny I would up here, with the idea of praying for someone in Purgatory because they are… well, I'm not entirely sure – less likely to be busy, possibly, or more desperate for a respite from Purgatory? Or some of each.

Anyway – https://www.laphamsquarterly.org/roundtable/reach

10. LaxMom says:

I love everything about that tiny carving, it is amazing. Especially the part where they say that whoever carved it needed to have used a magnifying lens, and they haven't found one of that era yet.

Also, I found this, and I love it, sorry for the long address:

I'm fighting a stomach bug again, so I'm low energy. And this is a big week for GIS people so I've had to be ON all the time at school and dead at home.

While I was doing GIS outreach things, I met this quilter: Deb Berkebile She dyes and quilts satellite images of the grand canyon or other Landsat images. I showed her your website, Lee!

Teengirl went to karate, renewed her resolve NOT to quit, and then we promptly both got sick so we haven't been back this week. Sigh.

• faintlymacabre says:

I just started the vagina article, but had to come back to say that using "rash of mansplainers" to describe a collective group of 'em is perfect!

They don't quite say that, at least in the linked article. They say that some of the details are only a half-millimetre, and "become clear only when viewed with a powerful camera lens and photomicroscopy."

I'm fairly near-sighted, and I suspect I might be able to see the details clearly if I took my glasses off and held the stone close to my eye. I can usually make out the microprinting on currency that way. So I wonder if the carver may have been near-sighted and lens-less.

• LaxMom says:

Way down towards the end the professor from Vienna says it needed magnification.

Ah, I hadn't clicked through to the Times article!

And the archaeologists suggested the engraver may have been nearsighted, so perhaps there's debate? I'm a bit confused by the statement that the professor from Vienna "dismissed the possibility that people of that era had sharper eyesight than today." Suggesting that the engraver may have been nearsighted is not at all the same as suggesting that anyone had "sharper eyesight." But perhaps the Times paraphrased him poorly.

• LaxMom says:

Well, from personal experience, the only thing you can get any two archaeologists to agree on is "if you can't figure out what it was for, call it 'ritual use'"!!! Oh, and beer is responsible for civilization.

It reminds me of seeing the Viking Horde show at the National Geographic museum in DC. The tiny details were amazing, and I kept wondering how people were able to do it.

Oh KSR is the best though. Anytime any of you want to geek out about the Mars trilogy, I am SO here for it.

RIGHT???? Ugh, that series is Just. So. Good.

It was the first time I'd seen anything that had a highly sexual woman character who used sex to further her ends but she was never objectified or criticized for it (not from the narrator standpoint, anyway). And the fact that it was a man writing this just…blew me away. Also, it's one of the few books or shows I've consumed where my favorite minor character did not die (which, considering the circumstances and time passage involved is a freaking miracle) and I could love it forever for that alone.

My doc said to check out the new vaccine as well, and not to bother getting one until I can find the new one, so I'll be calling pharmacies.

Miniature artwork is just amazing.

I just added that "Unforgiving Minute" post to my FB, and although I wanted to make it public and scream it out, I chose not to, and mainly due to fear of the FOF commenting from trolls and #notallmens. I don't have the emotional lifting energy to deal with them at this time. It says a lot to reinforce the article, doesn't it?