Tuesday Tumblr Collection

Clever Manka, · Categories: Tuesday Tumblr

A birb

This week’s Tumblr collection is Tuesday, November 21: Birbs. I swear that wasn’t an intentional thing, what with the poultry-present holiday this week. I just had the most number of images for it.

clevermankaI’ve posted a weekly themed collection on my Tumblr nearly every week since October, 2011. Someday I’ll compile a list of them, with links to the dates. That day is not today.

12 Responses to “Tuesday Tumblr Collection”

1. RoseCamelia says:

Hummingbird feets! And when it finally folds its wings I feel such human accomplishment: Look! a bird known for constant motion trusts my fingers!

Round birbs , so pleasing

3. exitpursuedbyaclaire says:

BIRBS

All of these posts, like all birds, are excellent, but the bird portal is particularly hypnotizing.

parrot is a squeaky toy

the elder Crow showed me this and i started laughing, and by the sixth time through it I fell over. be careful out there.

Science sidenote: Speaking birds like parrots and cockatoos are among the rare types of animal capable of anticipating beats well enough to match up to a rhythm. Humans are the only primates known to do so–other primates can be taught a single rhythm, but they don't adapt if the tempo changes, which indicates that they're not correctly using cues to anticipate when the next beat will occur. Neurologists suspect that the brain structures necessary to predict rhythm are connected with the ability to develop language.

Delightfully, there is a well-reviewed paper that was the result of a couple of researchers finding a YouTube video of a cockatoo named Snowball dancing to a Backstreet Boys song. Rather elegantly, the authors tested the bird's ability to match tempi by speeding and slowing up the same song, so that it would be clearer that the bird wasn't just bopping along at its own rhythm and happening to synch up with the song.

6. faintlymacabre says:

Birbs are the best! I have a small bird feeder in my yard, made for birds like sparrows or finches. But one mourning dove will come and squeeeeeeeze itself in to munch on things and it is ridiculous and wonderful. Some day I hope to photograph this.

7. Onymous says:

Also just about lost it in the middle of class on the "What's the difference between something being a bird and a birb?" gif.

8. snickies says:

Birbs! This is the best <3

These are so cheering. Much needed today, thanks.