Clever Manka, · Categories: Thursday Link Dump

Talk about a room of one’s own–Japanese architect Shinsuke Fujii designed a home with earthquake-safe bookshelves that you can climb (the entire house is gorgeous if you like modern architecture style).

More uses for a tension rod than you thought possible.

Pantsuit Nation and the Tale of the Pumpkin Spice Allies

Pumpkin Spice Allies appear during special times of the year (just like your annoying family members at the holidays). They show up when the bounty is plenty and enjoy the group’s attention. But they aren’t there when the table is being prepared or when the mess afterward is being cleaned up. After enjoying your labor, they can be found on your front porch, where they hint that your efforts have fallen short. They are quick to criticize your labor, whose fruits they have just enjoyed.

Thoughts on aging from The Body is Not an Apology, part one, part two, and part three.

Save your apologies, men–here’s what you need to do.

Want to know why feminists and non-binary folks are “always angry?” It’s because we’re sick and tired of having to be the ones to point out when men are being assholes all the time. This shouldn’t fall to one gender. Mocking and shaming sexist jerks should be a pan-gender pastime, like binging Netflix.

Speaking of, here’s a source to print your own catcalling citations.

I don’t care much about fancy skin care products and I’m fortunate enough not to need to, but Two Bossy Dames linked to New York Magazine’s skin care best-of collection and I can’t lie, I want to at least try most of these after reading the article.

A Morehouse College student becomes one of the youngest filmmakers to ever be commissioned to produce a Sesame Street film.

This article is from April and I waffled on whether to include it or not but I decided to go ahead simply because it’s so morbidly fascinating. Fairytale Prisoner by Choice: The Photographic Eye of Melania Trump. Obvious warning for images of 45.

Everyone has an eye, whether or not we see ourselves as photographers. What we choose to photograph and how we frame subjects always reveals a little about how we perceive the world. For someone like Melania, media-trained, controlled and cloistered, her collection of Twitter photography provides an otherwise unavailable view into the reality of her existence. Nowhere else — certainly not in interviews or public appearances — is her guard so far down.

What is that reality? She is Rapunzel with no prince and no hair, locked in a tower of her own volition, and delighted with the predictability and repetition of her own captivity.

Somewhat related (cough), is this Wired article Love in the Time of Robots which is not so much  about fembots/sex-with-robots as it is a look at Hiroshi Ishiguro, who has created many androids (most of them women) in the search for what constitutes human connections.

And definitely related to that, a look at why we need women to design AI (a fact that seems obvious to women but ~for some reason~ needs justified to the tech community).

The complicated, inadequate language of sexual violence

It’s not that we don’t have a vocabulary for talking about sexual violence, because we do. But that vocabulary is inadequate. It is confusing and flattening in ways that make it hard to talk about sexual violence without either trivializing it, obfuscating the systems that enable it, or getting so specific as to become salacious or triggering. So whenever I talk about sexual violence, I feel like I’m translating: taking the acts that actually happened and trying to cram them into the language that I have available to describe them.

That inadequacy is not a harmless coincidence. Language reflects culture, and our language reflects a culture that does not want to make it easy to talk about sexual violence — that wants to make it difficult, uncomfortable, and confusing.

This is absolutely not a statement against the KonMari method or those who benefit from it (hi, Absotively!), but this article about how KonMari is not necessarily great for art studios is a more expanded version of the conversation we had about the notion of artists and our stashes and how in those cases hoarding can be crucial to creation.

A group of gender non-conforming people find a safe and welcoming space in West Virginia.

…The group has learned the history of West Virginia and how the economy has changed Appalachia’s landscape. They’ve made it their mission to remove the invasive plant autumn olive from their property, and they’ve started to forge relationships with their neighbors. The group has gotten particularly close with one of the women on the Trust’s board, a member of the Catholic Worker Movement (a group of autonomous Catholic communities) who moved to Appalachia several decades ago. Williams, Smith, and Taylor occasionally give tours of the area to groups of Catholic students visiting Appalachia to learn about conservation. One of their main goals is to promote community resiliency in the region, which has been impacted by flooding and pollution and has lost many of its traditional farming practices.

I think I posed this recently, but I’m getting ready to place my own order of shea butter this weekend (I am now making my own lotion bars thanks to this amazingly easy recipe recommended by one of you darlings sorry I don’t remember who) so if anyone wants to order some for themselves as well, this source is the bomb.

Wow, now I want to make lotion bars. Gotta figure out a lotion-type face wash first, though, or return to Noxzema.

Oh wow, I remember really loving the smell of Noxema!. Well rats I just checked out the ingredient list and it uses soybean oil which makes it a no-go for me. sigh…I was kind of getting excited there about returning to Old Times. =D

BTW, the Burgomaster said they're the softest lotion bars he's ever used and he's tried a lot of them since he has super dry skin which I…absolutely don't. Next time I make them I'm going to try adding a little bit of cocoa butter because I have a tub of it and why not.

2. littleinfinity says:

Oooh, skin care link! Yesterday was my birthday and I received not one but TWO Sephora gift cards… time to do some research and go plunder the store. Ostensibly the gift cards are to help me upgrade my makeup collection for DIY wedding makeup purposes, but fancy skin things are important too.

So, I am 34 now! I took the day off work yesterday and J planned a touristy outing for us in Santa Monica. We rode the ferris wheel and ate funnel cake and rented segways to zip around the boardwalk. I had never been on a segway before, it's much easier than I thought! I did not fall on my face even once. Then we got sushi and went home to cuddle in a post-sushi coma. It was lovely. 🙂

I'm lucky to be fairly far removed from most of the SoCal fire activity (though the one by the Getty is too close for my liking), but there is definitely a lot of smoke in the air. Keep CA in your thoughts and maybe chant an anti-fire spell, or something? Send us some rain because it is getting crazy over here.

3. Alluvial_Fan says:

I just bought some shea butter…I might be a little susceptible to suggestion.

I've been toying around with the idea of taking extra good care of my skin in January as a New Years Resolution, so all these skin care links are timely indeed!

• Fancy_Pants says:

Also those LOTION BARS! I think I may have just solved the problem of what to get my sister for Christmas.

Do you think it would work if I poured the lotion "batter" into a cute tin rather than making bars? How firm does it get once it sets?

It gets pretty firm in the fridge but once in your hands it starts to soften pretty quickly, especially at the edges. I'm not sure how it would work trying to dig it out of a tin, though. It really needs hand warmth to get spreadable.

Oh, and heads-up, five ounces of each ingredient made ten little bars for me. I poured them into paper-lined muffin tins, about half-full.

• littleinfinity says:

Are you planning to present the lotion in the tin, or just use a tin with a cute shape to make the bars cuter? Based on no actual experience, but assuming this might be similar to popsicle-making or other molded treats – usually what people recommend is to briefly dip the mold in a bowl of warm or hot water just to slightly loosen the edges, then flip onto a flat surface to unmold.

• Fancy_Pants says:

I was planning to make tins of lotion (assuming I can find cute tins), just because it's easier to carry them around that way for Emergency Skincare. It sounds like this recipe isn't really built for that, but maybe something similar would work (slightly less beeswax perhaps?)

Hi there!

I make these all the times. If you want softer bars, highten your coconut oil – other things ratio. But the idea is that these are bars and not scoopable lotion. It's not supposed to be like Body Shop body butter, but more like… a lb of butter that you slather on your skin.

I make them in silicone muffin trays, they just pop right out it's amazing. I had less success making them in mason jars, but you can warm up the jar (say like in a bain marie style process, or a blow torch?) and they'll fall out. Tin might not work so well because if the tin is at all shaped, the lotion will stick in there. And if it is at all ridged (most tins are), it'll make it kinda crummy to pop it out of the mold. And also you can't warm a tin for extraction purposes quite as easily.

I dare not butter myself (I have oily skin and I just got Acne Round 2: Electric Boogaloo under control), but you all are making shea butter and lotion bars sound so enticing…

They work great on the lower half of your body! I have a pretty oily face but my legs and hips get super itchy during the winter and these help better than regular lotion.

Hey hey! I used to have terribly problems with acne, but cleaning with soap, regular (damn near daily) exfoliation and this lotion actually _helped_ my acne situation. I now only ever break out right before menses. ymmv, of course.

6. Onymous says:

I am not going to buy ten thousand tension rods… But I might start keeping my eye out for free ones…

Late to the party, but a few thoughts.

* I looks at skin care items and I always thing, it's an emollient, water, and some other stuff. So I usually just keep putting oils (usually jojoba) on my face and can't quite jump into fancy products.

* I am constantly amazed at the issues people have with the KonMari method. I wonder if it's an American all-or-nothing attitude, and then resulting resentment, instead of picking and choosing what works and letting the rest go?

Now I'm going to line up articles to read instead of doing anything productive today.

I don't think it's necessarily a national or cultural thing. I think it's more a lifestyle issue. I mean, I am ruthless when it comes to not keeping clothes, kitchenware, sheets, etc., that are past their usefulness. I'm even getting ready to purge my fabric stash. But my (to some eyes overwhelming) collage ephemera collection? YOU WILL TAKE IT FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS.

I see so many people read about the KonMari method and they are all, "But what about my _______!?!?!?!" *insert overdramatic whinging here* I'm all, use your fucking common sense people, apply it where you need it, or shut up about it.

Most of the protesting I've seen has come from Americans, who also seem to have a huge issue with the idea of thanking objects. To me that is not weird, but I anthropomorphize inanimate things, and it also seems to be a natural extension of Japanese cultural ideas.

So many great links this week, I can't even comment about them all 🙂
    I'm still catching up on reading them!