Tuesday Tumblr Collection

Clever Manka, · Categories: Tuesday Tumblr

My favorite fashion photograph ever, featuring one of my favorite dresses. Dress by Christian Dior, photo by Richard Avedon, model Dovima, 1955.

This week’s Tumblr collection is Tuesday, January 2: Gowns.

clevermankaI’ve posted a weekly themed collection on my Tumblr nearly every week since October, 2011. Someday I’ll compile a list of them, with links to the dates. That day is not today.

13 Responses to “Tuesday Tumblr Collection”

1. Onymous says:

Golden Book Gown which also happens to be the first time I found The Hairpin.

More on Google: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=gold

*scrolling* simple is best…no, wait, super-complex is best!…no, clean lines…no, gold leaf and a cape!…Huh. I can honestly say I didn't know my feelings about gowns were so strong. And that comment at the end is super on-point.

Apparently I like Christian Dior best? Just… shut up and put me in that dress!

Weirdly, just this morning, I was thinking about all of the ways in which the patriarchy robbed me of amazing shit via internalized misogyny. I'm still ruminating about this, but something something "achievement", something something "success" something something "slowness" something something "good enough". I'm not sure, but I think that the history of industrialization could also trace a history of mechanizing women out of jobs first (thinking textiles, particularly, and also food, maybe there are other ways?)

ALSO the fact that good spacial reasoning is necessary for sewing goes a looooooooooooong way to explaining why I am so pants at it.

There's a reason Dior he's still a common household name, and generally better known than most of his peers–his designs are gorgeous and timeless. A lot of people of course know Balmain (thanks for the shout-out, Nicki Minaj!), Lanvin, etc., but I feel like even your average joe on the street can recognize Dior as a designer name even if they don't realize he was actually a person.

• Heathered says:

Ha, I've begun with good intentions and hand-sewn many a Mobius loop without meaning to. Just, uh-oh, my leg goes where now?

A gown for all events, seasons, and shapes!

3. phantom says:

All the gowns are so beautiful, I love looking at that sort of fashion.

tbh I thought at first it was all about the elephants, and I was down for that too.

The Once Upon a Dream gown.. ohhhhh. and the black "Morticia"esque!

You know, one almost regret I have is not marrying an officer,, because then I'd have military balls to attend. I did love the few formal balls, and the excuse to get completely "dolled up to the nines." And then I just lived vicariously through Mum's gowns for the events. I simply cannot let go of a couple of her gowns, even though there's no way I'd ever fit into them.