I got nothin’

Clever Manka, · Categories: Uncategorized

I don’t have a post for you today, beloveds. I’ve been trying to think of something but as of right now (3:14pm CST, Sunday, February 4) I have yet to come up with anything.

After years of generous service, Amy is retiring from writing This Week in Feminist History. Thank you, Amy, for continuing to contribute so much to our community!

I was going to post a series random thoughts in today’s blank space, but I started typing and after three things I realized they were all complain-y and that’s…not helpful. My energy levels are overall improving, but I’m not yet at a point where I’m up to writing an essay (and apparently any potential topics are all negative anyway).

This leaves us without a post to open the week. If anyone has suggestions on something I could provide on the regular (that doesn’t necessarily include relying on others to provide the content), hit me up. Monday Selfie Day? A sort of not-quite-open thread that focuses on a particular topic every week? Advice column?

Regarding that last one–Doc Paradise sent me a link to this TED talk by Barbara Sher where she talks about how being involved in a community can help people achieve their dreams and goals.

She takes a long time to get there (although it’s an entertaining ride), so if you don’t feel like watching/listening, basically it comes down to her point that if you are willing to state your dream and why you can’t achieve it, people will try to help you overcome those obstacles. I was thinking maybe offering something like that in this space. I know people ask for advice in the check-ins and open threads, but maybe we could have posts dedicated to one particular person’s question/problem. People could send me what they’d like to ask, and I’d post it anonymously if they wanted. Does that sound interesting to anyone?

Obviously we’re not going to have a Major Issue every week (at least I hope not, god), so the queries could be open to all sorts of things. Everything from how do I quit a job/leave a relationship/undergo a major life change to recommendations for jeans-shopping or a gift for your eight-year-old niece, etc.

And of course my inbox is always open for guest posts! Let me know what you’d like to see in this space.

37 Responses to “I got nothin’”

1. ru_ri says:

Thank you, Amy, for your many many inspiring and eye-opening Feminist History posts! They were entertaining and informative and also brilliant evidence that despite the daily barrage of Intimations Otherwise, women of all backgrounds are as capable of greatness as any man, and are deserving of full equality.

As for the Monday Issue, I think this sounds like an excellent idea. Kind of like a crowd-sourced advice column? There is much collective wisdom among Mankanauts, so I think it could have great potential. (There are several questions I'd like to ask, but I already know the best answer to most of them is Get Thee to a Therapist, so…)

Monday hugs all around, anyway!

Aw, Manka, you should have hit me up for something! I always have some half-baked shit I'm happy to share. That said, THANK YOU, Amy! Your posts packed so much knowledge and thought into a tight, enjoyable read. Keep healing. And I really like the idea of a crowd-sourced advice column. Would contribute at either end but also just be really interested to see how it plays out. It's exciting to have an experimental space to just see how ideas work, too!

Vale, Amy! Thank you for all the learning, and here's to a continued life of education and assistance!

Thank you Amy for yeoman (yeowoman? Yeoperson?… HEROIC!!) article production – I loved them, and I was always pleased to find new women who had done great things.

I got nothing for what to do about Mondays…

5. Absotively says:

Thank you Amy, for your years of service to women in history!

I like the crowd-sourced advice column idea, but I also like the themed open thread idea. Maybe themed open threads could be a backup, for if you run low on questions and/or the time and energy to pick questions for the week?

Another thank you to Amy, your posts were interesting, informative, and led me down some fascinating Wikipedia searches!

I was also thinking of suggesting a recommendation or members link round-up post, for when you've got nothing. It could even be specific, like "Let us know your favorite soup recipe!" or "Socks, talk to us about your favorites" or anything like that. I'm not sure if you tag things here, but it would be a great way to go back and hunt down good info.

7. dirtymagpie says:

Amy, your columns were so wonderful, I still go back and read them.
    I like all of the above suggestions. I also like a mish-mash sort of "Hi 'nauts, look at this cramazing link I've still got open because I wanted to share it with you all."

I have one of Barbara Sher's books, and still get her monthly email thingies, but I sort of lost interest when I became highly disillusioned with the whole "Do what you love" movement.

In the comment, for your amusement, is an actual Help Chat I endured trying to get document from my insurance.

• dirtymagpie says:

Chat History
      Edward has entered the session.
      J. : Hello, sorry having trouble with pop up blocker… is there a place on the website where I can download a proof of coverage as my former health plan is requiring it to cancel my COBRA?
      Edward: Thank you for contacting UMR.
      J. : Yes, thank you.
      Edward: One moment please
      Edward: To turn Pop-up Blocker on or off
      Edward: 1. Open Internet Explorer, select the tools button, and then select internet options.
      J. : I've got that sorted out, I don't use IE. . My question is above.. is there a place on the website where I can download a document to show proof of insurance?
      Edward: 2. On the Privacy tab, under Pop-up Blocker, Select or clear the turn on Pop-up blocker check box, and then select OK.
      J. : I don't need help with the pop up blocker, please read my question above.
      J. : I'm looking for a document on the website.
      Edward: I'm sorry.
      Edward: On your online account, you may click on Benefits under My menu then click on Persons Covered and on the right side of the page, you may click on option print for the copy of the coverage.
      J. : Unfortunately, that isn't sufficient. They want an actual document showing coverage, not a page print out. Can you help me obtain that?
      J. : Also… my full name is not on this and my spouse and I both have the first initial J. This just shows me as J. .
      Edward: That is the only information listed on the website.
      J. : OK, so can you help me to obtain this document?
      Edward: One moment please
      Edward: For that you will need to contact your HR Department to have it updated.
      J. : And the document showing proof of insurance?
      Edward: We only have a print out option under the website.
      J. : And so can you find out where I can obtain this document?
      Edward: One moment please
      Edward: You can try to Coordinate with our benefit specialists.
      J. : Please explain.
      Edward: Is there anything else?
      J. Hudspeth: Yes, I just asked you to explain how I can "try to coordinate with your benefits specialists"
      J. : Do I call a number, send an email, shout out my window?
      Edward: That is correct Sir.
      J. : What is correct? Do you have a phone number or email, or am I just shouting out the window?
      J. : I am not a "Sir".
      Edward: I'm sorry maam.
      J. : Thank you. So how do I "coordinate with your benefits specialists? please?
      Edward: Please call UMR TOLL FREE 800-826-9781 so we can transfer you over to our Specialist to provide you further information about that. They are available business days from 7am – 5 pm CT.
      J. : Thank you. Have a good day.
      Edward: You too, Thank you for contacting UMR.
      Edward has exited the session.

Ha!

I have to give proof of homeowner's insurance to my co-op every year. I've done it the past two years by finding the non-live-chat request form on their website, while signed in, and sending a request that just says "please send proof of insurance to [co-op's email address], thanks." This worked perfectly one year, and resulted in them emailing it to me instead of the co-op the other year, which was close enough because I just forwarded it.

I don't know if this would work with your health insurance company, but it might be worth a try?

• dirtymagpie says:

Believe it or not, they don't have either an "email here" or "contact us here" link except to give you their 800 number, so silly me thought the chat would be easier than phone (I act like a millenial, and hate to speak on the phone after too many years of reception and call center work, lol).
          Yay health insurance, it can be a nightmare changing it, paperwork-wise.. I did finally call the number he gave me and the wonderful phone rep emailed it securely to me within the hour. But that entire chat was just… wow.

I believe it. The insurer for my homeowner's insurance still doesn't take online payments. I have to mail them a cheque every year.

They also don't do anything to tell me that they got the cheque. I have to remember to log into their website sometime after and check that I do actually have insurance.

• dirtymagpie says:

Yikes, that's an expensive and important thing to have to keep sending checks!

They have a website, where I can log on and see my coverage, so it's not like they're unaware of technology. They're owned by a big bank. Accepting bill payments direct from someone's bank has been a standard thing for, like, twenty years? At least? But no.

If I wanted to pay in monthly installments, they could set direct debits up with a blank cheque. Everything except the thing where I want to pay them through my online banking is normal.

• Räven says:

I may never sleep again.
        This is the stuff of nightmares.

• RoseCamelia says:

If Edward's not a chatbot, I'll eat my sock.

• dirtymagpie says:

Aha, that didn't occur to me! My assumption was that English was secondary language and too many chat windows open to pay attention to one person's issue.

8. phantom says:

Oh I liked those, thank you Amy.

It's ok if you don't have anything I think spontaneously blog posts are probably hard (I've never written a blog unless you count Tumblr but nobody expects my Tumblr to have a regular schedule or anything.