Friday Open Thread

Clever Manka, · Categories: Open Thread

I never thought I’d make it

As you might have guessed by my lack of activity here, at least during the early hours, it has been A Week. I’m not sure what my Friday at work is going to look like (if the rest of the week is any indication, it will continue to be Overwhelming), but I’ll show up as soon as I can. I hope it’s been a little more calm for the rest of you lovelies. I am planning on a very low-energy and low-responsibility weekend because I am wiped out.

If anyone has a question for the Community Advice post, drop me an email over the weekend. Also let me know if you’d like to remain anonymous or not. If not, please include your IntenseDebate username, too! Please also feel free to send me any essay/articles or whatever. Questions I can put up pretty quick, so receipt by Sunday afternoon is fine. If you have a piece to submit, though, please send it by Saturday afternoon. Thanks, darlings!

201 Responses to “Friday Open Thread”

HOLY SHIT Y'ALL. The universe threw me a bone. My case adjuster (ie the person being sent by the insurance company to see if my old ceiling = my new ceiling)? GentlemanX's bassist. He's great, does not feel he's in a conflict of interest, and has 110% got my back.

Also there are some pretty pictures of ice sculptures I took on my insta, if you're at all interested: https://www.instagram.com/p/Be-3ZLRhMo-/?taken-by

Oh damn, I hope fewer of your weeks end up being capitalized!

This weekend is All The Things. Tons of laundry, I have to start packing, I have to put docs together of my plans, prepare all vital emergency info for J. I'm going to try to make a flower crown for the Con, and bake fastelavnsboller for the hell of it. Sunday I'm popping in to see my parents, then going out for Chinese hot pot and Korean bakery fun with friends. The three days I'm at work next week are going to be murder. And my travel anxiety is currently fixated packing the right socks, and on picking out seats on the plane when it opens up Wed night. Paying extra to pick seats ahead of time is BULLSHIT.

I fully expect to end up crying at some point, regarding the fact that I'm IN another COUNTRY across the OCEAN, a country I know logically exists but now I'm THERE.

I expect I won't be around these parts much until I get back, so I hope everyone has a lovely, or at least bearable, February! May your meds work, your therapy assist, your self care soothe, and this community provide support and levity. And for the rest, there is always the space laser.

• Lynn says:

I hope you have a lovely, lovely trip and all the emotions about it that you desire.

I'm dealing with people making travel arrangements for two work events we're hosting (and for the most part, reimbursing for people's travel), and we are going to have to rewrite our entire travel policy to spell out what of all the new bullshit airline fees we will and won't cover. We won't force someone to buy that stupid bargain basement no seat assignment, no overhead bin crap Delta's pulling, but we also aren't going to pay an extra $25 for everyone to check in early.

I'm so excited for you! I hope it's wonderful and you have many beautiful but not stressful adventures!

• jenavira says:

Have a wonderful trip! I hope you get good seats. The right seats on a long flight can make so much difference.

• vladazhael says:

May your trip be exciting in all the right ways and chill in all the right ways!

• Heathered says:

I feel like a dingdong for forgetting where you're going, but do have a terrific time! You will definitely pack the right socks, I can feel it.

3. Lynn says:

I moved to my new tall walls and door cubicle today! It's very nice. My new row neighbors also talk on the phone a lot but they pitch their voices lower (and I'm sure the taller walls also block some of it), so I've found it much easier to treat as white noise. Although it's not quite lunchtime here yet so we'll see what that noise level is like (I'm now the closest cubicle to the kitchen). But I think I can deal with regularly scheduled noise for an hour or so each day.

The one big drawback I've just now realized is my boss's office is now behind me and the taller walls limit my peripheral vision, which means she could conceivably come up behind me without me realizing she's there. Not that I goof off over here ALL the time but I do like to have some plausibility that I'm actually working. I may consider investing in a small mirror.

• Heathered says:

Tall Walls and Door might be a store I need to add to the mall in my head. I hope they give you some peace; it's super tied to hormones for me, but when I am sound sensitive I want to kill everything, so trying to work like that cant be fun at all. Enjoy the murmur.

• Lynn says:

Honestly, having been in here for a couple of hours now I'm starting to think that I may be vision sensitive more than sound sensitive — not having any movement catching my eye is making me feel a lot less scattered than any noise I overhear.

Anyone have any good recommendations for plants that need no sunlight? I had to take my jade plant home because it barely got enough light at my old desk as it was.

Monday 5pm: Ok, received your applications for the coolest apartment on the planet, have a couple to process and will process them all, should be about 48 hours.
    Wednesday 5pm: *crickets*
    Thursday afternoon: Hey, super nice property manager lady who seemed to like us and gave the impression this would all work out and waived the app fee – any news? Please call back or email to let one of us know.
    Thursday pm into Friday am: *crickets*

Now, I know this lady also runs a landscaping and plowing business in an area where they just got slammed with snow, so she is almost definitely up to her eyeballs in very hard work, and according to Manfriend's generally stellar human-reading skills, she is not one for nonsense and seemed impressed with him/us, so I don't think she's just ghosting us. But I do worry that someone managed to get in an application before us, despite our attempts to get ours submitted as quickly as humanly possible, and that she's adhering to the first-come-first-served policy that is the official line (if not always official practice) of property management, and that these mystery people are married deaf-mute architecture professors with no pets and perfect credit who make us look like a pair of urban coyotes rooting through a Taco Bell dumpster.

So that's what's on my mind today.

• Lynn says:

I don't know if this helps, but something similar happened to us once and the issue turned out to be that they needed the current occupants of the apartment to give them an answer on exactly what day they were moving out (we'd told them that though we could move in end of month if it was at all possible to get in a couple days early that would be easier) and they were the ones dragging their feet. So hopefully it is something like that.

• vladazhael says:

They don't have current occupants – it's empty and they're working on some repairs and renovations. But it's possible that nailing down a date is a thing, because I emphasized that we're flexible on lease start dates (ideally early April, but willing and able to do sooner if renting it out ASAP is a concern).

• Lynn says:

Yeah my guess would be they are trying to finalize something with the repair guy and that's what's holding them up.

We had a whole thing with our last apartment where they wanted to delay our move in date by two days because they needed time to paint the apartment but we absolutely had to be out of our other place by the last day of the month, so we assured the new landlords it was fine if the apartment wasn't fully repainted (I think we had them paint the living room only). Which given that the place caught on fire 8 months later, I'm glad no one wasted time painting the whole thing.

• vladazhael says:

I so, so, soooo hope you're right. I still have (anxious, maddening, tense) hope. I would just rest much easier if someone would make a 30-second phone call to let me know what's happening, whatever it is.

I am hoping against hope that you don't have to wait through the weekend to hear back.

• vladazhael says:

SAAAAAAME. Manfriend and I both agreed that if we don't hear anything today, it's time to recalibrate our aim toward some of our backup options, but I know even if we do that we'll both be waiting to find out what the hell happened anyway (and of course open to sudden good news). The first place that rejected us didn't call or email to say so; they just mailed a "fuck off" form letter. But we had also started redirecting our efforts elsewhere anyway and hadn't been trying to contact them while things were taking forever, whereas we are definitely making an effort to stay in the loop with this one. A letter at this point without any other contact would be wildly unprofessional.

• Lee Thomson says:

AAAAH that is SO HARD. Waiting is hard, not knowing is hard, wanting something like the best apartment in the whole world is hard enough without the not knowing part… I hope you hear soon and positively.

• jenavira says:

Ooof. I know it's never as important to them as it is to you, but you'd think they would take mercy on you at some point and just give you an idea of how it's going!

• Flitworth says:

13/10 would feed you Taco Bell and boop your coyote noses

• vladazhael says:

The coyote metaphor *is* pretty accurate for us, I must admit. But we're adorable and mostly housebroken! And we like architecture!

Now I'm imagining coyotes in tweed, wearing glasses, reading Architectural Digest. I'd rent to you.

• littleinfinity says:

*boop*! You sound like good coyotes. I would rent to you.

• dirtymagpie says:

I happen to like coyotes, and dumpster diving, but Taco Bell is only for ontheroadnothingelseinsight, or sodrunkgoodtacoswouldbeawaste. Therefore, I would toss you succulent rabbits and give you shelter.

5. jenavira says:

Well, after yesterday's traumatizing psychiatrist appointment (and it feels incredibly melodramatic to say that, but it did upset me all day and then I went home and got very drunk, so I guess it's not inappropriate) we got six inches of snow overnight and I almost got stuck five separate times coming to work, and that's a late start at 11:15. (Which is my normal Friday schedule, did we do anything on account of the weather? Of course not! Why would we?)

I am meeting a friend's new cats after work tonight, mostly because getting that drunk on a work night two nights in a row is a pattern I don't want to establish. Alas, this means it's probably going to be tomorrow evening before I get back to my #dailyfeb2018 art.

So tempting tho. ::mankanauthugs::

• LaxMom says:

I hear you on the snow issues. Monday the highway I drive daily was shut down for black ice just after I passed the first accident and several others occurred.
      Wednesday so much snow hit that every campus except ours was closed, despite all local to our campus schools being closed. I had cramps in my hand from gripping the steering wheel so hard.
      Yesterday it snowed again and I nearly ate it while going downhill, I felt myself start to slide into the curve before I caught it (at 15 miles under the speed limit) and I have seen people roll down this hill with my own eyes, so…today I'm not leaving the f'ing house.

• jenavira says:

The director is now wandering around joking about how we're the only library in the area that's open today.

I am instituting a work stoppage in protest.

I will have not been sober a single night this week so no judging from this corner, but tbh if I had the option of meeting someone's new kitties, I'd take that instead, too.

So sorry to hear about the snow barrage. Gods I despise winter weather.

• jenavira says:

I like the snow! I just hate driving in it, especially when virtually everything is closed and I have to come in to work because my boss doesn't care if I get into an accident in a snowstorm.

• dirtymagpie says:

I am so sorry about the traumatic appointment. I hope handling kittens soothes you very well.

I might have just bought all the Ozone Witches Garden socks at Sock Dreams. And also some arm warmers about taking to the sea.

We are headed out to an fabric store later (I still have RoseCamelia in my clutches!) and out to dinner, and Sat supper tomorrow and then I put her on a plane on Sunday morning (*sob*) and return to my regularly scheduled programming.

I just reblogged this post on Tumblr and it looks like Zazie Beets, the actor playing Domino in the new Deadpool movie, might actually have underarm hair in the movie? It's obvious in the pic near the bottom of the post, but I also paused the split second she's on the screen in the preview and it looks like it might actually be there. Pit hair! On a woman! In mainstream media! This is REVOLUTIONARY and I am HERE FOR IT.

• vladazhael says:

*raises hands in triumph, exposing hairy armpits*

Back when I was bellydancing, I got my pits lasered a couple times so I wouldn't have to shave every day on weekends that I performed (people Do Not Tip dancers with hairy pits, y'all, it's an unfortunate fact). The loss of hair from that coupled with my menopause-related body hair loss means my armpit hair is so sad and sparse now. So instead of a nice, sexy pit like Beets has in that photo, mine just looks…sad. I never thought I'd shave my pits because there was too little hair there, but here we are.

Life is strange, friends.

• vladazhael says:

I gave up on shaving my armpits last year, but discovered I still have to trim because the hair grows mostly straight and gets long and weird and sticks out. Not "have to" in the sense that I'm capitulating to the patriarchy, but in the sense that looking like I'm smuggling tribbles is not my goal.

Mine is pretty straight, too, which it did not used to be. The Burgomaster trims his pit hair with the same guard he uses for his beard and if mine wasn't so pitiable I'd consider going that route, too.

• vladazhael says:

Yeah, I should really get a beard trimmer for that. I've been using scissors, and I know that's going to backfire on me some clumsy day.

I JUST ordered a bikini trimmer from Amazon, a Panasonic. I can report back.

• vladazhael says:

Yes, please!

• dirtymagpie says:

My mum used a face trimmer, and when I inherited it, I decided it became my "not showering today but need pits done" because it's very close but being for wimmin faces, very gentle.

Wooo, she looks awesome and fierce and yay pit hair and check out those gloves!

I don't like the feeling of pit hair in the summer, so I shave, but in the winter I don't care.

• dirtymagpie says:

I like that I can go for *days*, well, this time of year, months for the same reason. Unfortunately, I do have to shave if I wear one of my unnatural fabric dresses, because with even the sparse hair, I reek, deodorant, a/p, or not.
          I am ALL FOR natural pits in movies! and I'm okay with groomed, if it's appropriate that the character would be fastidious about it.

I've been shaving my underarms every other week tops since, like, October. It's wild.

• dirtymagpie says:

I think mum lost all her leg hair, but she developed a total Fu Manchu. I was both happy to remove it for her but fascinated by it at the same time. That's when I knew she was terribly ill, when she'd let that go without trimming.

• jenavira says:

I hate how exciting this is but GODDAMN I'M EXCITED

• Flitworth says:

Woot! She's gorgeous.

She really is! I was also pleased to see Morena Baccarin and Briana Hildebrand (Negasonic Teenage Warhead) in the preview, too, so here's hoping for lots of awesome ladies in Deadpool again!

Seconding recommendations on mirror and MyNoise.Net.

I picked up garbage solo the last two Sundays, but tomorrow the garbage nerd collective is doing a cleanup I can get to, so I'm trying to save some energy for that. Last Saturday the library had a "haiku walk" to prepare for the annual festival here (Ukiah = haiku backwards, so why not have a festival?). We walked to a park near my house, wrote for an hour and then compared poems. It was surprisingly fun! Sometimes I try group things and think I'm just not wired for groups, but a *good* group makes all the difference. People following my #dailyFeb2018 will be glad to know I am embellishing the hell out of my embroidery practice piece for one more day, then finally starting an actual thing! I'm loving the whole process, from being terrible at it to using thread I found in a free box and my own pants leg as a canvas, and seeing everyone else's work is really cheering. Thanks for such a good idea, Lee!

3rd! Motion passes

11. jenavira says:

PSA: these bath bombs, I need them all. "It's Only Frickin' Tuesday: smells like slowly dying". "It's Not You, It's Me: smells like it's you".

The doctor says my lungs are clear. Finally. I just have to finish the antibiotics. I'm still coughing a bit, but I can actually breathe so this is an improvement.

We found the perfect house. And now are not applying for it because I googled the property manager's name.

I had a great day yesterday and was feeling energetic and productive. Today I want to crawl into a hole (put the thunder and rain white noise on). It's up and down. Sigh. The Kudzu of Joy has been mega sick this week and I have been struggling to food so I've eaten a lot of eggrolls and broccoli for lunches. I may need a wider variety of veggies.

Bought small canvases. I have it in my head that I want to paint hands next week.

BTW … Dr. TBD has decided to change his name to Dr. Space Laser as suggested by Fancy Pants after I mentioned that Dr. Space Laser was the source of my space laser comments. He actually worked on a space laser device, once upon a time.

• LaxMom says:

I am glad you are getting better. And despite losing out on "the perfect house", it is good that you found out the landlords sucked before you moved in. Otherwise you would end up like me, with a self-help illegal eviction the week before school started for 3 kids, and the next landlord a peeping tom who I caught on a ladder outside my shower window, and who for bonus points dragged dead deer into my yard to feed the vultures, attracted coyotes, we couldn't go outside due to the smell, and when I complained, they revealed they had put cameras up aimed at my backyard!
      So, you will find another almost-perfect house. But bad landlords can go very bad and i am glad you avoided that.

• Doc_Paradise says:

Wow. Just… wow… I hate to say that your reassurance is making me feel better about my decision, because… wow… that is horrible, but thanks.

• LaxMom says:

It was horrible, but honestly, who ever thinks landlords could actually BE that bad?! I have good stories now, though.
          And I have been able to warn several people away from them. AND I called the health dept. on them, so revenge is good.

• vladazhael says:

Ooo, yes, seconded on the worth of bad landlord dodging. Manfriend's landlord is the reason why we got rejected for the first place we applied for (the guy AND his son both just declined to return any calls for tenancy confirmation), and while that can't hurt us this round because the property manager we're in contact with knows and accordingly disregards said landlord, if this application fails for other reasons he will once again become an obstacle. The number of judgments on record against the guy speak for themselves, as does the "fuck off" letter we have from the first management company, but we'll still have to find someone who is willing and able to account for that in their screening process, which is one more restriction we do not need, and one that will likely hound us for a while.

This is me, screeching, "WHAT THE HELL!!!!"

He actually worked on a space laser device, once upon a time.
      That. Is. Awesome.

Hands are so fun and challenging! I hope you have a great time with them. What's your medium?

• littleinfinity says:

I read this comment before I saw that Doc_Paradise was actually planning to paint hands, and I'm not sure what's making me laugh harder, the out-of-context "Hands are so fun and challenging!", or the fact that on first reading I was all ready to agree like, "hmm, yeah, I guess they are!" before realizing I might have missed something.

• littleinfinity says:

<waves> Hello to Dr. Space Laser! Please thank him for his important work in the field of Precisely Targeted Destruction.

Okay. I'm converted to MyNoise.Net

*thunder and rain*

14. LaxMom says:

Hi All.
    My school internet won't let me post here and my phone won't let me log in to intense debate so I have been AWOL.
    Teenboy and girlriend go to the winter ball tomorrow, yikes I need to make/buy a corsage!
    Teenboy sat down and said to me, "I really think that most of my friends do not just accidentally start having conversations with their parents. I really like that I am comfortable just talking to you". I told him that that meant a lot to me and it was sort of what I was trying to do with this whole parenting thing, e.g. input baby–>output functional human with social skills
    Teengirl is motoring along. She has started occasionally talking to me as well.
    I am swamped but teaching is going well this semester. Everything else technically went to hell this week, and all my software broke and my laptop is being stupid, too, so productivity has not been great. But thank god february is short.

• Doc_Paradise says:

I was wondering where you were and if you were okay. I'm glad that this is a positive update (mostly).

That's a damn rewarding thing to hear from a teenager.

You were missed, I am glad it is because of no larger reason than technology demons. ♥

What a good thing to get an update from you and I'm so happy that things are going smoother (knock wood) with Teenboy and Teengirl.

• vladazhael says:

input baby–>output functional human with social skills

This is a wise way to look at things and one I'm glad to see in practice in the wild.

• Lee Thomson says:

The trick, according to Mr. Crow, is to preserve sanity in the parent while inculcating it in the child. the conclusion should have increased the net sanity in the world….

• LaxMom says:

i used to joke that every word in my children's vocabulary was a direct transfer from my own, and as they got smarter my brain got empty!

• Heathered says:

It's good to see you back! Sorry your technology is being a collective pile of buttheads. (Also please write a book that includes your landlord stories because that ish is bananas.)

• LaxMom says:

Oh, I can add a bit–at the SAME EXACT TIME I was standing in my driveway hearing my landlord tell me I was evicted, my son called to say his dad was in jail. And that's why he hadn't picked son up from camp 2 hours away the day before(don't worry, I was there just in case, he got a ride home).

Kitten game update:

I am attempting to turn alicorns into zombies (necrocorns)…. because… BECAUSE I CAN. I really have not much idea what I'm going to do with zombie alicorns but I want one as a pet.

This game has become a *thing* with me. Now that I've backed out of playing table top roleplaying games I've thought of a cool way to turn it into one. I call it "A box of Kittens". The players start out as kittens in a box and have to figure out the world they are in from a kitten's point of view.

• Lynn says:

I have not gotten to the zombie part yet! I just got to space last week and acquired uranium on Tuesday.

If you ever actually make that role player game, I have a RPG-loving, kitten-fostering friend who would be all over it.

• jenavira says:

I'm in about the same place, grinding on making steel to increase my oil production so that I can launch space explorations. My kittens are not environmentally friendly, although given how many unicorns have been sacrificed, I don't think that's the biggest problem they have.

• Doc_Paradise says:

I have now caused Black Liquid Sorrow to fall from the skies. Apparently that is something you get from squeezing Unicorns.

I really wonder about the unicorns. Why do they keep diving into the whirling blades?

• Doc_Paradise says:

If I write it up in an other-person-useable form, I will let you know.

I finally had to delete my work kittens, because too distracting. I exported their save data, so I could overwrite my home kittens with them, but I haven't yet.

They did have a tragedy where I expanded the city a bit too fast and didn't realize the food wasn't replenishing fast enough between winters. And went home for the weekend. On the plus side, they made it to space.

Home kittens I decided to try the reset function on, and they're still not back to where they were. Very frustrating.

I think I may actually get the app. It's not that expensive, and having kittens that run all the time that I can access when I'm not at work would probably reduce my frustration a lot. Also, I just checked the wiki page for it, and apparently it can import saves from the web version.

• Doc_Paradise says:

Paragon points (reset with 70+ kittens) are really useful for getting back up to speed after a reset. The chronospheres (time travel resources) are really useful for resets too.

I want the app, but my phone is an old blackberry. I need a new phone with an android operating system.

Today is very busy and high-intensity for various reasons I am not at liberty to discuss right now. Whew.

I just got back from a trip to see my fam. It was lovely–went better than expected.

17. mowinda says:

I'm going through a phase of being very bored at my job which makes me unhappy (but I guess is the best of all the problems to have). My manager walked in on me watching a clip of John Mulaney on my phone this afternoon. OOPS

I interviewed in September for an intimidating job I'm not super qualified for (and did not get it) and this week I got an email inviting me to interview again for another position at the same place. This has apparently happened to other people at my place of work (and ended up without a job offer) but I accepted because I need the practice. BUT NOW I'm going to be nervous about calling out sick next week to go and about sitting in a roundtable with three intimidating older social workers who question me about my clinical experience. I'm trying to look at it this way-I'm not sure I'd even take the job if I got offered it so WHO CARES.

You can do it! Maybe, be prepared but not invested, so you can feel good about the interview even if it doesn't pan out.

• mowinda says:

That sounds like a good strategy! And I have time to prep anecdotes for those awful "tell me about a time when…" questions.

That is the BEST way to go into something that, imo.

I hope you find something at work to pique your interest soon. I think you've been feeling like this for a while, haven't you? That sucks.

• mowinda says:

Just kidding my interview got cancelled and possibly rescheduled to the week after next at the last minute! WHO KNEW.

And yeah I have been bored at work for a while!. My manager knows and is sympathetic which I guess at least comforting. I have also been taking a CBT class and thinking about getting into other skills which has been helpful. I'm also trying to get into listening to bands I always feel like I should listen to but have never done via Spotify so that's a fun work endeavor, albeit one that does not earn me or my employer any money. (I'm always jealous of those people who are like "Oh well clearly this is derivative of MC5" or whatever)

• Heathered says:

It seems like you're doing everything right, from making your existing job survivable (was it John Mulaney taking about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with Seth Meyers? If I walked in on you watching that I'd give you a promotion.) to keeping a baited hook in the water for passing jobs. I hope the right one happens for you soon!

18. littleinfinity says:

Whew, congrats on surviving your week, Manka! Sounds exhausting.

I'm working from home today and I really wish I could always do this. I get kind of claustrophobic? overstimulated? in the office with all the PEOPLE and NOISES and PEOPLE. It's sunny and warm outside, and I'm sitting on my couch in shorts and a tshirt, and a hummingbird is building a nest in the rose tree outside our window.

Aside from my excellent morning, my life right now is 200% wedding planning. Only 9 more weeks to go <flails>. How are there so many logistics? I didn't budget (/have) the money for a wedding planner but now I am totally seeing the appeal of that investment.

Oh my gosh, nine weeks!

I don't suppose there's any way you could negotiate at least an occasional, set day a week to work from home?

• littleinfinity says:

…for some values of "could", I maybe could! I should ask. Here is the thing: I know I have been doing only a semi-adequate job at work recently because I'm burned out and bored and just trying to hang in there till after the wedding when I will have time and bandwidth to job hunt. So I am nervous to ask for accommodations, even though my boss is usually pretty accommodating, because I feel like I'm already not doing my best and I don't want to call attention to myself. BUT! Maybe if I did have the work from home option one day a week, I would be less burned out and would then do a better job??

• LaxMom says:

I had to go to the library–the actual library STACKS–to get BOOKS the other day for my proposal. Floor 9. I try to avoid the library because it's a half mile? from my office and it's cold and books are heavy. I am lazy in my old age.
      It was so quiet. It was amazing.
      unfortunately none of the 40 year old study carrels were anywhere near an outlet for my computer, or I would have moved in. But the silence was lovely.

• exitpursuedbyaclaire says:

This is late, but yes, fully sympathize with life being 200% wedding planning. But we'll make it through! And then we'll be married!

I was told not to use the term "nuke" to refer to breaking down an installation so I proposed "Cleansing re-install in the style of Gwyneth Paltrow".

Oh! oh! oh! I forgot to mention earlier–I got my invitation to sign up for pillowfort (which is trying to make a blogging platforms that combines the best of LJ and Tumblr) and some asshole already took the username clevermanka. I'm trying to decide if I want to create an account of some variant thereof, or sulk about it for a few more days.

It's been A Week, but the boss's kids delivered Girl Scout cookies this afternoon, so things are looking up. (Boss sprang for a box per employee, which means I have FOUR boxes of cookies but only had to pay for THREE. A delightful nonstandard benefit.)

NICE! Which flavors did you get?

• Rillquiet says:

The new S'mores (IMO they're just okay, with the marshmallow role being played by some Oreos-esque creme filling), Samoas (the champion of the genre), Thin Mints, and Tagalongs. Now, of course, the struggle is not to house them by the sleeve. Cookies are a sometimes food, but my inner moppet shrieks, "NOW is a time!" and makes mock of any attempt at moderation.

Girl Scout cookies are tough to moderate, that is a fact. Why this is a fact I have no idea. You'd think their scarcity would help influence slower distribution to one's face, but…

22. LaxMom says:

posting again because, hey, Teenboy's girlfriend is wearing black lace and I found dark roses and BLACK mini calla lilies at trader joes and got three bunches for the price of one bunch of roses at other stores.
    I left trader joe's hugging them to my chest so the cold didn't get to them on the walk to the car.
    Halfway to the car I realized I was grinning spontaneously! Apparently, to make me happy all I need is an armful of flowers!!!

23. Absotively says:

Random thought: If we just put the cauliflower in a Ziploc freezer bag and attach a very good vacuum pump, would atmospheric pressure be sufficient to implode it?

24. dirtymagpie says:

Two pieces of happy in the comments, cz pics…